good restaurants in LA

going to LA for a couple of days, need some good restaurants and some cool shit to do.

outstanding foodtrucks would be nice as well.

thanks in advance, André.

He's right, they're predicting rain Monday through the entire week. But that doesn't matter if you're hitting the restaurants and bars from the TV shows Man V. Food and Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.
Los Angeles - Man v. Food Travel Guide - Travel Channel
Phillippe's is the home of the French dip.
You visit these places, then see them on TV, and you've been there. I wouldn't let the weather stop me.

I would use Trip Advisor.
Los Angeles, CA Restaurants: See 8,555 restaurants with 63,011 reviews - TripAdvisor

I did Philippe's a few years ago, but now I eat healthy. The DDD places seem to drop in the rankings after they've been on the TV show. I think the owners cut costs as more people show up. Philippe's is still high in the rankings, but Mom's Tamales dropped.

If it's burgers, then you'd want to visit Bob's Big Boy or In&Out. Bob's is ok, but there's the history factor knowing celebs show up for the car show (Jay Leno). Otherwise I'd go down the list from TA and pick the best places.

Last edited:
where in LA? you might think "oh this place is only 8 miles away" but itll take over an hour to get to it.

i went to Phillippe's and got their french dip...it was legit

there was also some open air market type deal (but with permanent stalls) that had great food - no idea what it was called

Is Tommy's Hamburgers still in business? I went there when I was little, and it was one of the best burgers I have ever had...place wasn't that big of a deal, but the burgers were awesome.

It depends on where you are in LA.

The two places that I want to go in LA are Urasawa and Animal.

legit yakitori (little tokyo, chef is like a 90 y/o man using japanese white charcoal)
Kokekokko - Little Tokyo - Los Angeles, CA | Yelp

probably the current top KBBQ in koreatown
Kang Hodong Baekjeong - Koreatown - Los Angeles, CA | Yelp

personally i recommend getting ethnic shit because LA has really high quality international stuff. top-grade american .. you can get in any other major city. still stand out stuff... father's office burger is great, the restaurants on la cienega are all going to be solid, but LA's ethnic offerings are really special.

Last edited:
Father's Office - simply outstanding beer and american fare for very reasonable prices.

Applepan - Quintessential California burger joint.

Intelligentsia Coffee - based out of Chicago, but they have a location south of Santa Monica I think. nice little spot and great coffee.

Lucques - impeccable fine dining. i had one of the best dates of my life here. good value as well.

Pink's Hot Dogs - standby for post-excessive-drinking.

Animal - haven't been, but i've heard great things. they specialize in meat.

^ those are all places i've been and will vouch for (minus animal). this article is a current list of what's hot in town right now, probably worth checking out as well.

have fun!

He's right, they're predicting rain Monday through the entire week. But that doesn't matter if you're hitting the restaurants and bars from the TV shows Man V. Food and Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.
Los Angeles - Man v. Food Travel Guide - Travel Channel
Phillippe's is the home of the French dip.
You visit these places, then see them on TV, and you've been there. I wouldn't let the weather stop me.

congrats on ngfming before ngfm in this thread

Back