Good headphones for under $80

=BL=VorteX

Veteran XV
My zune was recently stolen along with my senn's that I got from the pepsi code thing that happened a while back. So now I'm back in the market for some cheap headphones but good
sound. I listen to mostly electronic music, trance/dnb. Good bass is a must. I hate tinny sounding phones. The senn's were good but were kinda meh in the bass section for me. I was looking at these three.

1)KOSS Portapro
PORTAPRO_1.jpg

Everywhere I read a review for these, they said it was one of the best headphones under $50. Although i'm not too fond of the look but in the end if it sounds good I'd use it.

2) Skullcandy Skullcrushes
crusher_black-checker_LRG.jpg

Ok i'm not a fan of skullcandy phones but I did try these out at best buy and the bass was nice. Does anyone have these? Different sites gave it an ok review not bad but not great either.

3)Grado SR 60i

sr60i.png

Read up on these and everyone gave it a decent review. They look like crap but again if it sounds good I don't care. Never owned one and until recently I honestly didn't even know about them.

I do not like in ear phone's because they tend to bother my ears after a while of listening. Recommendations?

Last edited:
i have the grados. they are great

tried the senn's of the same level

they are also great

great great great great

got myself a date

friday night @ 8

i will not be late

late late late late late

i have grado sr80s and love them. I've heard the sr60s are supposed to be good also, but never personally listened to them. I've also read the portaPros are great.

I wouldn't touch the skullcandy crap.

edit: if you're judging how much you like a pair of headphones from how much bass they put out stay away from the grados - you will be very dissapointed.

Last edited:
i have a pair of skullcrushers. cancels noise pretty well and people around you can't hear what you're listening to even at loud volumes. you can crank the sub but it wastes battery pretty fast, i usually have it down all the way.

no complaints about sound quality. good price too

i've always heard good things about the grado brand but never tried it

the senn 280 pro sounded good, and I bought a pair, but then sold them less than a month later. 2 non-sound related problems: they grip your head TIGHTLY -- good for nonslippage, but gets uncomfortable after an hour or so, especially if you wear glasses (squashes them into your head). also, I hated the curly-elastic-cord; it could be nice but in my situation it pulled on the connection and caused a lot of static whenever I moved.

in the end I have settled on sennheiser RS-130's (wireless). The sound is pretty damn good and they are comfy, but don't grip your head tightly enough so slip a bit if you lean over. also since they are RF wireless there is some static sometimes.

I'd love someone to recommend a blue-tooth or other non-RF wireless, quality headphone.

Yeah the 280 Pros are not very good for going places. I only use them at my desk. (Although I've never tried any other headphones so I can't compare)

I had a pair for 4 years that broke (plastic broke) but I would have them in my packed backpack or they'd be leaning against something if I was wearing them in bed so I'm sure they would have lasted several more years with more careful use.

Grados are terrible for listening in noisy environments, or in quiet places with other people around since they are open air

Mine also broke on me with fairly gentle use :/

however, they sound amazing if you just plan on listening around the house

Like Whistler alluded to you also want to figure out where / what environment you are going to be using em for and pick b/w on ear / over ear / in b/w open or closed etc... There are more technical terms for that stuff I got some AKG's for around 90 or 100 that I liked more than the 280 pro cuz they hurt my ears

SR 60 for around the house. They're pretty awesome (and pretty bassy). They are open air though, which is terrific in quiet situations, less so otherwise. I use mine at work sometimes when I want to hear if other people are trying to talk with me :shrug:

If you can, find a decent audio shop and try the headphones out. I tried out the SR-60s, SR-80s, and a similarly priced Sennheiser. There was almost no difference between the 60s and 80s, and they beat out the Sennheiser.

Back