Ginger Jew news: World of Warcraft microtransactions

Odio

Contributor
Veteran XX
Blizzard talks about World of Warcraft microtransactions - Destructoid

When Blizzard said it was exploring potentially adding microtransactions to World of Warcraft in "certain regions," speculation quickly pointed to that being code for "Asia." Good job, everyone who suggested that! After admitting that "we're still pretty early in the exploration process," the company has given more context for the in-game store.

"We think everyone would appreciate the convenience of being able to make such purchases without having to leave the game, and ultimately that's our long-term goal for the system, though there's quite a bit of work involved in retrofitting those existing items into the new system," wrote a Blizzard community manager.

"First, we'll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we're looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset) based on player feedback: specifically, an experience buff to assist with the leveling process, as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. We've had a lot of requests from players in different regions for convenience-oriented items such as these, and as with other new ideas we've introduced as WoW has evolved -- including Pet Store pets, mounts, and more -- your feedback plays a hugely important part in determining what we add to the game."

Experience? Doesn't bother me. Those Lesser Charms of Good Fortune, however, could be an issue for some players who fear the in-game store will lead to an eventual pay-to-win scenario. "Ultimately it's still too early in the process to make any final determinations about our plans," Blizzard continued, "but in the meantime, we hope you'll check out the in-game store once it's implemented on the PTR and let us know what you think."
Happy totally called it.

Just a shot in a dark, but I think this is entirely due to the Titan fiasco. It probably caused a lot of senior Blizzard executives to lose leverage within the company, and Activision proper wants to try to make up the difference by taking more out of the WoW side of things.

When Titan got scrapped, Blizzard lost the ability to stop Kotick from heavily micromanaging their affairs.

titan was rebooted indirectly because of kotick... because no one can possibly have any motivation to work under a fun hating jew like him... and unlike other software companies you need motivation and passion to make good games.

ultimately it will be cancelled or be some total fail console release

in other words art and corporatism dont mix.

Who cares? You're not forced to buy anything.. and if you're playing the game even casually, you'll drown in those lesser charms.

So.. meh.

titan was rebooted indirectly because of kotick... because no one can possibly have any motivation to work under a fun hating jew like him... and unlike other software companies you need motivation and passion to make good games.

ultimately it will be cancelled or be some total fail console release

in other words art and corporatism dont mix.

my understanding is that basically Titan and Destiny heavily overlapped. And rather having people at activision who had an understanding of what Blizzard and Bungie were working on, they kept the info too compartmentalized.

Just a shot in a dark, but I think this is entirely due to the Titan fiasco. It probably caused a lot of senior Blizzard executives to lose leverage within the company, and Activision proper wants to try to make up the difference by taking more out of the WoW side of things.

When Titan got scrapped, Blizzard lost the ability to stop Kotick from heavily micromanaging their affairs.

Another theory could be this is the first, albeit very slow, step towards going F2P. With the market now saturated with F2P MMOs and a lot of the "premium" ones like Rift, TOR, etc. all going F2P their premium subs wouldn't be able to hold people's attentions (and wallets). This could be especially true given the downward slide in quality in WoW as well as the complete neutering of any sense of community outside of heroic-raiding/high-end PvP guilds and the "unwashed masses"

Pretty sure they can't simply flip it to F2P, Activision wouldn't stand for losing all that sub money overnight. So they are probably "baby-stepping" this little marketplace until the money gained from it supercedes subs. Then go F2P.

I got a scroll of res for wow last week, hadn't played in over a year.

Collected my free lvl 80 (hunter)... wtf. I literally just ran around 3-shotting mobs for quests. There was absolutely nothing challenging or interesting about it. Everything else is even more dumbed down than when I quit too.

Did they nerf all the quest mobs or just buff all the players so much that everything is so trivial? I would literally just Conc --> Kill Command --> Spam a couple Arcane Shots while running around until it died, never ran out of focus or anything.

I got a scroll of res for wow last week, hadn't played in over a year.

Collected my free lvl 80 (hunter)... wtf. I literally just ran around 3-shotting mobs for quests. There was absolutely nothing challenging or interesting about it. Everything else is even more dumbed down than when I quit too.

Did they nerf all the quest mobs or just buff all the players so much that everything is so trivial? I would literally just Conc --> Kill Command --> Spam a couple Arcane Shots while running around until it died, never ran out of focus or anything.

like with all the expansions, things scaled and basically anything before 85 is easy mode. not that anything 85+ isn't easy, but it certainly isn't as easy.

Why would they make WoW f2p when they have millions of subscribers and can charge them micro transactions on top of the monthly fee.

They will go f2p when subscribers drop below 100,000.

Back