General Knowledge @ 70

Ddrakon

Veteran XV
So, I've hit level 70 (hunter) a few weeks ago. I've been BGing lately and just recently begun doing some arenas to start gaining points towards the kickass crossbow. I consider myself pretty skilled as a Hunter both in PvE and PvP.

However, I've noticed that I really don't know much about the PvE aspect of the game at this level. I haven't played this game for too long (my only other character that's in this level range is a 61 priest) so I'm kinda clueless about a lot of stuff.

For one, heroic instances. I know that you need a key for the Auchenai ones, but is there prerequisites for all of them? If so, what do I need to do to be eligible?

Secondly, my gear is pretty so-so. The Armory I'm hoping to fix some of that through Battlegrounds, but I'm wondering if there are any good ranged weapon upgrades through quests or instances. As you can see, my current gun is really bad.

Also, about the different outland factions (lower city, aldor, sha'tar, thrallmar, etc), is it worth grinding all the rep with some of them? If so, what is so good about them?

Lastly, money. I'm currently at 1600g and still have all the Netherstorm quests to do, which I assume will bring me around 2200g. Where can I farm the last 3k for my flying mount? I still have a few elite quests here and there, but that still leaves at least 2k to farm. I've read about daily quests, but is there a list somewhere? I only know of 2-3 offhand.

Thanks for the help.

Edit - If you think of anything else that might be of use, please say it. I'm looking for as much information as possible.

I'd say about 7-10 days, max. It was EotS and AV weekends so it went pretty fast. These aren't too hardcore PvP days either. You can get about 6-9k honor per day on AV weekends depending on your queues.

Do the faction (Netherwing and the such) daily quests. You can make 100g pretty quick every day.

I wish those were around when I was working on my epic flying mount.

to do a heroic you must be revered with the faction who you gain rep with in that heroic IE All hellfire instances require Honorhold / thrall mar rep. All tempest keep instances require Sha'tar rep. All coilfang instances require cenarion rep etc. At revered you can buy the key from the rep rewards quartermaster and enter the instance on heroic mode.

You want to go around and look at each rep's quartermaster and see who has the best rewards for you, you want reverred with everyone tho atleast for heroics so start with that and then figure out if theres anyone you really want to GRIND to exalted with.

Start doing the daily quests at Ogri'la in blades edge mountains and at Skettis in terrokar forest. There's a bunch of elite quests you have to do in BEM before you get to the dailys but once you get them out of the way its an easy 100g a day. Once you have your epic flying riding skill you can do the netherwing dailys.

Basically, what would be handy is some kind of checklist of important stuff to do once you reach level 70. For example (based on info in thread so far, will edit once more info is given):

General
[ ] Riding 300
[ ] Shattered Halls Key

Raiding
[ ] Karazhan Attunement

Heroics
[ ] Revered with Thrallmar
[ ] Revered with Lower City
[ ] Revered with Aldor
[ ] Revered with Sha'Tar
[ ] Revered with Cenarius Expedition

etc. Any more ideas?

Last edited:
Don't even need 300 riding. I've been 70 since late January/early February and it's at the bottom of my list of priorities. Until they come out with an outdoor battleground that puts flying mounts to use or I pick up a gathering profession I'd rather kick back in Shattrath and let people summon me everywhere for raids.

You're pretty much on point with the other important things to accomplish. Good luck though finding heroic groups these days. I've needed 2k Sha'tar rep to hit exalted for quite some time (for freebie flasks) and can't find a group to save my life on Tichondrius.

running pugs for heroics is retarded, find a good guild on your server

get revered with shatar asap and run a heroic mech once a day, easiest 3 badges in the game

Don't even need 300 riding. I've been 70 since late January/early February and it's at the bottom of my list of priorities. Until they come out with an outdoor battleground that puts flying mounts to use or I pick up a gathering profession I'd rather kick back in Shattrath and let people summon me everywhere for raids.

u r dum smaq

300 riding means all the herbs I could ever need in absolutely no time whatsoever.

You're pretty much on point with the other important things to accomplish. Good luck though finding heroic groups these days. I've needed 2k Sha'tar rep to hit exalted for quite some time (for freebie flasks) and can't find a group to save my life on Tichondrius.

Well I just transferred to tich...cept I'm alliance ;)

u r dum smaq

300 riding means all the herbs I could ever need in absolutely no time whatsoever.
I dropped herbalism in March I think, don't need a fast mount with tailoring/alchemy (soon to be tailoring/enchanting once I build up some $$ to fund the change).

Picking up tailoring took about 3000 gold for the 5 items, blue gems, and enchants. That was my epic mount fund up to that point.

Since then I've kept up on enchants on every upgrade I get and put the best gems possible in anything I have that will last awhile, plus funding 1-2 flasks per night of raiding with food/oil on top of that, it's a bitch to save gold playing casually.

I have 2 open days that I can farm but normally one is spent either BT farming for rep/gems/epics or running Karazhan for that fucking shadow dmg neck that I've yet to see drop (to even lose a roll on) since January while the other day I normally don't logon or when I do it's to run some BG pvp if it's WSG or AB weekend which for some sick reason I still consider fun.

Sadly I make more money leveling mining on my level 47 warrior alt (Smaq) than I do on my priest atm, and it has mining/skinning (probably eventually herbalism) so I'd probably get my first epic flying mount for the alt.

A lot of good stuff has been said - I wanted to add this:

Don't pvp for gear to use in pve. Those days are pretty much over for the majority of us.

Also you can pull 10-30k/day easily on AV weekend ;). And I'm not just talking about if your ass is glued to the chair playing nonstop.

You need to get the regular flying mount skill before you can train the epic flying mount - so factor that cost into things - Generally, the regular flying mount is faster than riding, as you can fly above mob packs and terrain.

Find a guildmate that can prospect and buy/mine fel iron and adamantite == profit.

Do the Ogrilla and skyguard dailies - easy money, no epic flying mount needed (but you do need a regular flying mount).

-get the veteran boots and belt, best for a hunter till BT - even for pve
-get at least 2 pieces of beast lord for the 4 second cooldown on traps (massive for dungeons)
-get in a guild that does kara at least up to the opera event - almost everything you need can be gotten off huntsman / opera
-get keyed for every heroic so you can buy the better arrows/bullets (cenarian / honor hold)
-if you want to make money, save up for an epic mount - very easy to farm herbs/mines
-get your aldor/scryer rep to exalted

those are the basics

Standard flying mount is a no brainer. Everyone should have one. Epic however...I just can't see myself grinding it out. I don't do a lot of node farming, so flying a little faster won't help me much. I'd love an epic, but 5200 is just fucking retarded.

For now, all my money gets spent on

If you're looking for farming, killing the farming scryer rep off elves in Netherstorm makes me decent money. Signets, tomes, netherweave, and the odd green.

Back