Gas Piston vs Direct Impingement

veritas

Veteran-4
I'm looking for opinions on whether or not it's worth it to go with a gas piston over a DI system in an AR.

Thoughts?

Hi naptown, you surely will post here because you are in love with me. And your cock milking buddy insidious will surely follow.

Last edited:
The way you word it makes it seem you think direct impingement is better than piston.

I don't see any reason to deviate from the standard gas piston system in an AR.

Honestly.. how much is the additional weight gonna bother you? and do you mind cleaning the weapon all that much?

Honestly.. how much is the additional weight gonna bother you? and do you mind cleaning the weapon all that much?

Not about the weight at all, more concerned with lifetime of the weapon. I'd think that the carbon fouling from the DI system would be harder on the weapon than a gas piston system. But, I don't know it that intimately, hence me asking :)

Ok hmm...

I'm debating building since I'm hearing my area is scavenged of complete builds due to the 'zomg obama is going to take away guns' scare.

That's a whole other barrel of monkeys though, never built an AR before.

There are a few good sites out there, and you can make some of the tools. Notch a set of bolt cutters to push the rivets in, etc..

since this is a thread about AR's i think i'll share what happened to mine last night...

I had just mounted my scope to my brand new RRA LAr-8 (.308) and i thought i'd oil up the safety selector to work it in a little. It was a little hard to flip from safe to fire and back. So i dab a little oil from the top of the lower reciever onto the safety selector and start working ti back and forth. About the 10th time i switch it it does the following.

(BTW, it's not a cheap lower parts kit, it's RRA 2 stage match trigger and LPK)

safetyselector.jpg

luckily there is a lifetime warranty on it.

looks like this nerd just picked himself up a nice weapon to murder all the people who pick on em

sad little kid

since this is a thread about AR's i think i'll share what happened to mine last night...

I had just mounted my scope to my brand new RRA LAr-8 (.308) and i thought i'd oil up the safety selector to work it in a little. It was a little hard to flip from safe to fire and back. So i dab a little oil from the top of the lower reciever onto the safety selector and start working ti back and forth. About the 10th time i switch it it does the following.

(BTW, it's not a cheap lower parts kit, it's RRA 2 stage match trigger and LPK)

safetyselector.jpg

I'm guessing that its made out of plastic and not a polymer of some sort?

I know to keep costs and weight down on every corner plastic is used but a safety is pretty important. Most likely a manufacturing defect though, but still bothersome.
luckily there is a lifetime warranty on it.

good job quoting you idiot

it must feel awesome to be totally inadequate enough to spend that much money on a gun

loser

you know naptown, maybe id respect you if you were at least half decent at trolling.. but.. you just kind of suck dude :(

Back