Garage Games and Tribes

BugsPray

Veteran XV
Just throwing this idea out there:

How much support would there be if the Garage Games fellas got together to create the next Tribes game? Keep in mind that I don't expect them to use Torque X Engine. I ask this because as many of you know, a good portion of the Dynamix crew (developers of Tribes 1/2) are over there. Tribes 1/2 are obviously the most successful of the Tribes series, so they obviously have the credentials to do it. I understand that they would need to work things out with VUG to get rights to the Tribes universe and all, but if that wasn't an issue (meaning they could get it), or if they made it under some different name, would everyone support the developement? This brings me to another question. Is it possible to create a game almost exactly like Tribes X, but call it a different name and have weapons with different names?

If all of this is just "wtf" to you all, please shut me down politely. :D

-BugsPray

BugsPray said:
This brings me to another question. Is it possible to create a game almost exactly like Tribes X, but call it a different name and have weapons with different names?

They do NOT own the gameplay, interface, or idea of packs, explosive disks and sniper rifles that shoot lasers. If you hear anything differently from anyone, tell them you can't own ideas, and if you require further proof you can look up information on this subject at the USPTO (http://www.uspto.gov/ ).

Last edited:
xgalaxy hinted that GG are working on something big. he also said he was sure if GG could somehow accuire the license, they would love nothing more than to create the next tribes game.

i want tribes4 :clap:
we finally need 30km landscapes and compensate with 10x the health and t2c speeds. Brings back teh epic and teamplay (covering).

great idea pv
thanks!

btw, isn't there a way to get support by the linux community or so, there's like several milion people interested in coding stuff, it would be a pain to coordinate a big team, but if would be a sick thought if t4 grew like php and whatnot :p

GarageGames has no intention of assuming "the position" under VUG. We love Tribes as much as anyone (ok maybe a bit more than most) but the limitations that would most likely be put on the process would yield a game which was almost entirely unlike Tribes.

PrinceVince said:
i want tribes4 :clap:
we finally need 30km landscapes and compensate with 10x the health and t2c speeds. Brings back teh epic and teamplay (covering).
You mean like GTW-T:V? ;)

GG should name the game: Traibz 4. :D

Got Haggis? said:
xgalaxy hinted that GG are working on something big. he also said he was sure if GG could somehow accuire the license, they would love nothing more than to create the next tribes game.

Where did you hear this?

I feel we are in a great posistion currently to get them that licence, free of VU rule.

I don't feel getting the license to the Tribes name would be as hard as everyone thinks. We just got screwed over, and that now gives us power to bargain.

There is nothing I would like more then to see Tribes 3 come from Garage Games.

I don't care what anyone says about T2, it was a good game, even from launch, and T2C shows what a mod can do to appease T1 players such as my self.

shock lance, good skiing, mine discs, pointing lasers, and BEACONS!!!

i'll support GarageGames in whatever they do. wonderful bunch of fellas.

well...

far be it from me to be the eternal skeptic...

but if GG gets into a deal with VUG pertaining tribes, i doubt it's a matter of transfer of rights/property and more a matter of getting a simple, creative deal to USE the IP.

a tribes game targetted at linux/mac/pc gamers with lowball/no cost to VUG wouldnt be something they'd prolly HATE as a concept. if the simple brand name can be kept alive without LOSING money... VUG could have an interest in it.

then again, if you read the VU internal reports and business agendas, they explicitly talk about relying more and more on internal IP generation and product development.

xgalaxy said:
I didn't 'hint' at anything. I just said if GarageGames had the Tribes IP we would probably use it =)

Well why not support Legends then. At least using Torque allows you to get Garage Games support, and Im sure no other dev company knows more about what Tribes players want in their engine than the folks at GG.

Also because renwerx is involved, Im sure all the wepons models and types can be integrated into Legends for say a Legends Classic Mod. I know Renegades included weapons that are not currently present in Legends which included the chaingun, shocklance etc.

Last edited:
Back