Gaming mouse + Mousepad

So the MX518 seems to have a lot of good reviews. I think ill look at getting one of those.

the steelpad and allsop mousepads dont seem to be very available in australia. are they much better than the razer ones?

G5, change the sensitivity on the fly, and if weight is really a concern to you, you can add/subtract weight.

It's a solid mouse. As for a mousepad? I use the wood on my desk.

So the MX518 seems to have a lot of good reviews. I think ill look at getting one of those.

the steelpad and allsop mousepads dont seem to be very available in australia. are they much better than the razer ones?

Holy crap its snow. SUP!~

52711.jpg

i have no idea whether the cloth razer one is good (make sure you've got room on your desk, as it's big)

i tried many, but never liked plastic/aluminium/glass pads
it depends on your personal preference though

The Razer Deathadder is currently the most accurate and fastest tracking mouse available. This has been confirmed by testing it using mouse benchmarking software/hardware and comparing it with other mice taking the same tests.

The Deathadder and the MX500 series are currently among the top mice, with the MX500 itself having the same level of accuracy as the Deathadder. The Deathadder's advantage over the MX500 is it's higher resolution and higher maximum speed. (Note: the MX518 does not track as well as the 500/510.)

G5/G7/MX1000 all suck accuracy-wise, as do the vast majority of laser mice. That, and laser mice tend to have much more limited surface compatibility. In general, laser tracking is simply a gimmick and does not work as well as optical tracking. See for yourself in benchmark results.

Last edited:
MX500 is 800 dpi and can't change sensitivity on the fly. It's a fact.

I will stick to my 518 thanks. BTW, yes I do use the change sentivity feature all the fucking time...I don't know what I would do without it.

MX500 is 800 dpi and can't change sensitivity on the fly. It's a fact.

I will stick to my 518 thanks. BTW, yes I do use the change sentivity feature all the fucking time...I don't know what I would do without it.

The MX500 is accurate up to 4m/s. The MX518 is only accurate up to 2m/s. DPI really doesn't matter too much. It's better to adjust sensitivity on the fly than DPI.

If you depend on the DPI changes, however, I can see using an MX518. For those who don't, the MX500 is more accurate.

The 500 was a solid mouse. Lasted me for 4 years.

Now, I have a DeathAdder, a G5 (re-issue), a Habu, a MS IE 3.0 (reissue), and a Creative Fatal1ty Pro Laser Mouse (the 2020). I recently gave away my Chaos Green Copperhead to my girlfriend's brother for his birthday, and used to have an MX Revolution as well as a first-gen G5.

I also have a corepad deskpad xxxl, a Fatal1ty Mouse Pad, an Icemat 2nd Gen, and a Razer eXactmat, and I used to have a Ratzpad GS.

The same mouse will play differently on different surfaces. Also, no two mice feel the same on any one surface / pad. The smoothest feel of any mouse on any mouse pad I've ever tried is the Fatal1ty 2020 on the Speed side of the Razer eXactmat. It's like it's coated in AstroGlide, I shit you not.

As far as favorite mouse is concerned, it's a toss up right now between the DeathAdder, and the new G5 re-issue. The Habu happens to fit my hand the best out of all of them, but my game's just better with the G5 and the DeathAdder. Unless we're talking about Tribes. Then I go with either the IE 3.0 or the 2020. But for general computing and development, the Habu, definitely.

Yes, I know I have a mouse addiction. I've come to accept that. I also have a keyboard addiction (Eluminx, MS Nat 4000, Razer Tarantula, an old Dell AT101W, and a Creative Fatal1ty Keyboard).

There's something wrong with me.

The MX500 is accurate up to 4m/s. The MX518 is only accurate up to 2m/s. DPI really doesn't matter too much. It's better to adjust sensitivity on the fly than DPI.

If you depend on the DPI changes, however, I can see using an MX518. For those who don't, the MX500 is more accurate.

How many lan events have you been to where it is byoc. Now how many of these tests have proven the mx500 is better than the 518 WITHOUT oc'ing the usb port.

Assuming this thread was indeed supposed to be about a "gaming" mouse, you want one you enjoy where you don't need the software or an oc'ed usb port for it to work.

I continue to support my configuration of a Logitech G5 and a QcK Steelpad, which is a very cheap cloth-based mousemat and yet is also extremely good. Combined with the G5's Teflon pads I can't really see how this could be smoother without sacrificing control.

I personally like the sideways scrolling on the G5 more than the button I've lost from the side on my old MX510. I don't really use it in Windows, but in games I generally push my scroll wheel right to reload, and left to do something else (in Battlefield it brings up the primary radio).

I've not yet found a way to have the + and - buttons be bound to "back" and "forward" in Windows (for web browsing, etc) yet turn into re-bindable buttons in games, though. If anyone knows let me know. :sunny:

As for mousing surfaces, here's my take:

Icemat: Extremely durable. The Icemat is a good choice for optical users. It is not as slick as other pads, however at the same time it is good for higher control and the ability to stop the cross hair over an opponents head with ease. It does, however, tend to build up a residue easier than most other pads. Avoid use with laser mice.

Steelpad S&S: This pad works well with both optical and laser, though slightly better with optical. It is one of the most slick pads I have used and has a great feel to it. My only complaint is that it tends to wear out a bit quickly, increasing friction in high-traffic areas.

Func Archetype: This pad is a bit like a cross between the Icemat and the Steelpad. It is not quite as slick as the Steelpad, however it provides good control. It is a very well-rounded pad with a bit of a preference for optical mice.

Razer Exactmat: Much like a harder Func pad. It shares many of the same qualities as the Archetype, except that it is just slightly more slick. Shares the same optical mouse bias.

Steelpad QcK+: The only cloth pad I have found usable. It is about as slick as the Icemat and provides the same amount of control. Very large. Good for high sensitivity users and those who move their mouse's position around a lot.

Ratpadz GS: About the same amount of slickness as the Steel S&S with a more coarse surface. These pads provide great performance at a low price, but will wear down rather quickly.

I continue to support my configuration of a Logitech G5 and a QcK Steelpad, which is a very cheap cloth-based mousemat and yet is also extremely good. Combined with the G5's Teflon pads I can't really see how this could be smoother without sacrificing control.

I personally like the sideways scrolling on the G5 more than the button I've lost from the side on my old MX510. I don't really use it in Windows, but in games I generally push my scroll wheel right to reload, and left to do something else (in Battlefield it brings up the primary radio).

I've not yet found a way to have the + and - buttons be bound to "back" and "forward" in Windows (for web browsing, etc) yet turn into re-bindable buttons in games, though. If anyone knows let me know. :sunny:

Search for uberOptions or something like that for Logitech's drivers. They'll let you pretty much do ANYthing with the G5.

And the new G5 actually improves on perfection: The wheel and wheel button are much easier to use, they gave us the 5th button back, and the grip is 10 times better. The finish is this roughened split-plastic kinda feel. My hands sweat a lot, so the really rough finish helps keep the mouse in my hand during those intense moments.

PS: Whoever's genius idea it was to put high gloss plastic on a mouse needs to be shot. Multiple times. In the face. And testicles.

How many lan events have you been to where it is byoc. Now how many of these tests have proven the mx500 is better than the 518 WITHOUT oc'ing the usb port.

Assuming this thread was indeed supposed to be about a "gaming" mouse, you want one you enjoy where you don't need the software or an oc'ed usb port for it to work.

Increasing your default polling rate isn't exactly OCing your USB, but I can see your point.

With no drivers, yeah, the MX518 would fare better.

Back