[game] Robocraft

Harbinger

Veteran X
I see a number of you guys on steam playing this.

I watched a clip that shows you make a robot and fight other people and bits of your shit fall off. Is it as fun as it looks?

Plenty of bugs, but it is early access. Sunk a decent amount of time into it for a f2p game.

Some dudes make some pretty intricate robos. Have seen:
Battlecruiser from Starcraft
Astronaut in chair
Potted Plant
Pirate Ship

Decent fun.

It's great fun but needs more expansive game modes.

Well worth the download and I even threw $20 on it for a Premium Account.

It is pretty polished.

It's great fun but needs more expansive game modes.

Well worth the download and I even threw $20 on it for a Premium Account.

It is pretty polished.

ditto, did the same.

I made myself an F-117, it was garbage (too big, too heavy, too fragile) but fun to spawn in and just fly about in something that looks sorta kinda like a Nighthawk.. Saw another guy that had made a pretty convincing Apache..

Have a plasma flier at T7, works nicely now and with the change to rails and spotting, the sky is actually a much safer place than it was (was pretty much instant death before if you weren't very careful and also pretty lucky.) Though SMGs are pretty good now, too - SMG fliers actually seem to be valid, capable options. I'm tempted to try my hand at making an A-10 of sorts.

But it's also fun to go 'slumming' in low tiers.. that's where you see the silly ones.. I've seen ships made with people just using the bricks to make banners, flying swastikas, stick figure dudes with giant cock-and-balls upon which the guns are all mounted.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun though, well worth the nothing it costs to try it for yourself.

I certainly have the most fun in fliers.. they're not for everyone though, can be very 'glass cannon'-y You can easily rack up a bunch of kills if you manage to get the drop on people, but you can also get blasted to hell without firing a shot if you get unlucky. It's a little better now that they've changed the railguns around.

Fliers are the most difficult thing to engineer and I'd say require the most planning to design. Outside of floating satellites of course.

A ground vehicle is pretty redundant, not a lot is required to get it to perform as expected under the very simple physics the game operates under. A mass of connected cubes, a few wheels and guns and off you go. A flier requires you to pay more attention to center of gravity, lines of thrust and control (ect) a lot more.

But it can be pretty rewarding when it finally works out.

There are 2 basic philosophies to building... first you can build something purely functional. As in, who cares if it's pretty to look at... as long as it gets the job done as efficiently as possible.

Then there is building something esthetically cool, even if it isn't the most practical of designs. I find these to be the most entertaining both to build and to see the ridiculous things other players bring to the fight.

Of course, when you manage to both make it cool AND practical is best of all. Which my bomber kind of is to me. It started off as just an experiment, that turned into something just for fun, but eventually I grew attached to it and found a way to make it practical in the game, even if it isn't the most competitive of designs.

Which to me, is probably the biggest reward from playing the game.

Last edited:
pro tip. protect your wheels. Your fancy dick cannon is reduced to a phallic symbol if the wheels get shot off.

also, aim for the cockpit. yeah, i said it.

lWlme5I.png

My T7 plasma bomber

Ddh47Us.jpg

Bit in need of a redesign once I get some more cash for electroplates..

As it stands.. 6 plasma cannons hanging off the bottom (3x T8 and 3x T7), 4 engines, (2 each 7 and 8) as well as another 3 'maneuvering thrusters'.. electroplates front, rear, and underside.. radar, receiver and jammer.

I have no idea.. don't think so.

In honesty, it's not really all that detailed, I don't know that analogue control is even really possible (there isn't any yaw controls, put it that way). thrust forward/backward with w/s, roll left right with a/d, pitch with space/shift. Mouse gives you freelook/aim (it's all turrents that track your look)

can you rebind the inputs?

if i had to do kb+mouse i'd use w/s for pitch, and shift/space for throttle.

No rebinding at the moment that I know of.. might be able to edit a file somewhere, but I don't think so.. I've seen people complaining on the forums about having azerty keyboards and bindings sucking for them.

So.. No, I don't think you can rebind controls, but I don't doubt it's "on the list".. it's still early days and under very heavy development.. I've been playing the thing for a couple of weeks now and already it's vastly different from when I started.

Played a bunch of this when it first came out, but got bored of the gameplay after about ten rounds. Used to be three people who would blitz to the enemy base while everyone else duked it out in the middle. Two minute games on average, but that was like a week after it came out. Dont we have a thread on this already?

Played a bunch of this when it first came out, but got bored of the gameplay after about ten rounds. Used to be three people who would blitz to the enemy base while everyone else duked it out in the middle. Two minute games on average, but that was like a week after it came out. Dont we have a thread on this already?

Those matches are pretty rare now (particularly in higher levels), jump in and take another look if you enjoyed it otherwise.

Back