fuckin windows update...icon help ;\

Mav

Contributor
Veteran X
ok I've used tweakui for the longest time now, for alot of its little features. my favorite is that, it removes the gay ass little arrow from shortcuts.

so i did the windows updates today (98se) nothin major, few minor security updates. reboot, and now all my icons have the gay ass arrow. i've tried resetting them back to None in Tweak's options, a dozen times, nothing. Rebooted seeing if that'd work, nothing. I even shut off wintidy thinking it might be a conflict with folder options or something, nope.

ideas?

Mav said:
ok I've used tweakui for the longest time now, for alot of its little features. my favorite is that, it removes the gay ass little arrow from shortcuts.

so i did the windows updates today (98se) nothin major, few minor security updates. reboot, and now all my icons have the gay ass arrow. i've tried resetting them back to None in Tweak's options, a dozen times, nothing. Rebooted seeing if that'd work, nothing. I even shut off wintidy thinking it might be a conflict with folder options or something, nope.

ideas?
HAHAHAHAHAAHAH

believe it or not, i managed to fix it myself ;\

I did some searching to see if TweakUI had been updated recently, nope. And yes, I did try reinstalling it, several times. Yes, I tried the repair option, several times.

Apon further research I found a few sites that had situations just like mine; people running 98 did the windows update and had the exact same problem. Turns out one of those updates from last year (late 02) changed some things in shell32.dll, which one of the things changed was how shortcut links work. Basically TweakUI told Shell32 to use a different icon, which then was replaced with a blank icon provided by TweakUI. Since the new Shell32 doesn't handle that process anymore, new ways to alter shortcuts were made.

the easiest and most effective has been a small registry tweak. inside the explorer folder in classes (forgot the whole tree to get there off the top of my head) you simply edit/rename any string of "IsShortcut" to "IsNotShortcut", reboot and all is fixed, icons without shortcut arrow or prefix.

Wow, interesting.

Just out of curiosity, why are you still running Win98?

:cool:

Data said:
Wow, interesting.

Just out of curiosity, why are you still running Win98?

:cool:

no cd burner plus im not keen on warezing an OS

not gonna shell out $100 for 2k/xp

plus my old ass video card has no drivers for xp/2k, i'd be stuck with a shitty vga mode if I installed 2k or xp

once i build my new system when i learn how, ill use 2k or xp, not sure which

98 aint all that bad, only things i wish it had was the more customizable gui functions xp has, without some gigantic outside program that hogs ram like windowsblinds

XP/2K is a huge step up from 98 in terms of overall performance. better memory management, better stability, security features, etc.

and just because there aren't 2k/xp drivers on the website of your manufacturer doesn't mean that there aren't drivers included with XP.

XP more than likely has it included, ESPECIALLY if your video card is that old.

Back