FTP program question

Hypn0tik

Tribes-Universe.com
Veteran X
Hmm When trying to connect to someones FTP, and it lets you connect but then says

"Failed to establish data socket"

Does anyone know wtf this means or how to fix it? <3

yes, try passive with and without. if neither of those help, then the ports are being blocked and one of you needs to open the appropriate ones. 21 and 22 and gort said.

edit: wait, sorry. THEY need to open up 22.
edit2: ARGGGHH sorry, i'm confusing myself. they need to open port 20.
edit3: okay... lemme explain how it works.

if you are in active FTP mode, what happens is you make the ftp connection as normal. when you attempt to transfer data, the server attempts to initiate a connection to YOU (the client) on a certain port number. (it varies)

in passive ftp mode, you (the client) attempt to initiate a connection to the server on a certain port number...

so in conclusion, the port you need to open is...... not a single number, it's a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
invar said:
yes, try passive with and without. if neither of those help, then the ports are being blocked and one of you needs to open the appropriate ones. 21 and 22 and gort said.

edit: wait, sorry. THEY need to open up 22.
edit2: ARGGGHH sorry, i'm confusing myself. they need to open port 20.
:lol:

I was gonna say. 22? WTF. This is not your thread.

No not behind a firewall :(
Tried both passive and not. When I take off passive mode I get a different error. Instead of it saying "failed to establish data socket" it says...

150 Opening data connection for directory list.
425 Cannot open data connection (10061).

Hypn0tik said:
No not behind a firewall :(
Tried both passive and not. When I take off passive mode I get a different error. Instead of it saying "failed to establish data socket" it says...

150 Opening data connection for directory list.
425 Cannot open data connection (10061).
Good info here: http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

Question: Are you running WinXP? Do you have ICF enabled?
edit: What FTP client?

Running XP pro. Not sure on the ICF thing. Dunno what that is. Im using Cute FTP 2.4.3

Strange becuase I connect to tons of FTP sites a day and never have problems.

Thx for all the help - and :wave: ghost !

ICF = internet connection firewall. Shows up under TCP/IP Properties -> Advanced. It may be blocking the inbound command port.

When you say they are using port 29999, is that their data port?

I dont think so. How would I turn it off and i will give it a shot

** edit - above post musta been made while I was typing :D

[MoM] Gort said:
ICF = internet connection firewall. Shows up under TCP/IP Properties -> Advanced. It may be blocking the inbound command port.

When you say they are using port 29999, is that their data port?

He says its both data and communications port

Back