FPS Issues

MistaKe

Veteran X
Very similar issue to what kesh was having a few years back:

[FPS] Drops every now and then by kesh - TribalWar Forums

Basically, I reformatted and installed WoW a few months back - I actually copied the folder from a friends external to avoid the install and such. I'm playing on the same machine I always have and have noticed a decrease in my FPS ever since I started playing again.

I just grabbed my latest video card driver as well as deleting the contents of my Cached folder - doesn't seem to have done much. A month or so ago, I had like 12-15 FPS in Dalaran (pretty awful, but understandable I suppose) and over the past week I've dropped to 8-9 and now I'm around 2-3 which is unbearable.

I can go from standing still in Thunder Bluff (pretty low pop/activity) and be around 50-60 FPS and the second I move forward and run around my FPS is cut in half or less, to around 25-30, and it will stop dropping at around 15-19 and hover around there which is just annoying - never experienced this before. I don't run a ridiculous amount of addons (nothing different than what I've run in the past without any issues) so I doubt that's causing the hang-up.

Anyways, if there are some quick fixes out there that I'm missing please let me know. Here are the specs of my machine, like I said, it's 3 or so years old but has had no problems running WoW on the highest settings before:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.41GHz
4GB RAM, Radeon x1900GT
Currently running Windows XP Pro

this might sound funny but, i would check your CPU cooling/fans/temp.

have the temp running while playing and if/when you notice a dip, check the temp. i had a very similar problem as you and after changing all kinds of shit on my rig, all it was was my cpu fans/over heating.

I had a massive dust buildup in my GPU fans.

I tried EVERYTHING to fix my fps problems, including fixes, patches. I reformatted as well.

I tried all these optimizations recommended from everyone. In the end, I tried the last thing that I should have tried first: Air can the fans in my system.

FPS back up to 50 or 60 right after that.

Back