For Motorcyclists

Mael

Contributor
Veteran XV
Well it's spring again. Time to bust out the bikes from winter storage for all the folks who had snow. It's also the season where new riders start hitting the roads the most. Sun is warm, with a cool breeze and the idea of blasting down the super slab is just too tempting to resist anymore.

So here's some good information for riders, new and old alike.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

This is the group that puts on the MSF rider course for new riders. Most states will grant you a +M endorsement if you pass the written test at the DMV, and also complete this course. There is an interactive map to find an MSF course in your state. Worth every penny. They also have a TON of great information and videos on how to be SAFER on the street. Even veteran riders can benefit from re-learning some old skills from their videos.

So now that you have your license, it's time to buy a bike. THAT discussion is too long to put in one post. But something a lot of people forget, is to factor in safety gear with the cost.
New Enough sells motorcycle jackets, helmets, gloves, luggage, tires, parts, etc. :: New Enough

New Enough sells closeout gear, which is gear that was unpopular for whatever reason and didn't sell out at big chain bike stores. The gear is legit in the safety dept, and it's one of the cheapest places I've found to buy gear. They also have a good selection and LOTS of pictures so you can browse easily.

Most states require a Helmet. I buy top of the line, you don't have to though. The more you spend the lighter and more comfortable the helmet will be. How much do you value your head?

Buy a Jacket A common saying with bikers is, "If it's too hot for gear, it's too hot to ride." The companies who make safety gear know this and you can buy very good quality jackets with vents that zip open and closed. No reason to sweat your balls off. Also no need to have an intimate 45 min iodine bath with a 200lb nurse as she scrubs the asphalt and dirt out of your skin. I've seen marines cry from this. It AIN'T fun. A good quality leather or textile jacket will save you this pain and humiliation.

Gloves Do you make a living with your hands? I sure as hell do. I tried on a LOT of gloves until I found the pair I liked. ALL gloves should cover your wrist. Make sure the palm is re-enforced and double stitched. Your hands will take a lot of damage if you fall off. You can damage nearly any part of your body (other than your head) and still go to work as long as your hands are ok.

Super Jeans At 60MPH denim jeans shred like tissue paper when they hit the tarmac. Although they're better than shorts :) A couple of companies make jeans specifically for riding with a middle layer of kevlar. These work AMAZING. Worth every penny, and then some. Draggin' Jeans

Footwear When you crash, the first thing that happens is your shoes come off. So buy shoes that you can't pull off. I started out with boots from an Army Surplus store, and have moved on to a pair of Lowa hicking boots. I have Alpine Stars SMX boots for the track, but on the street you just need to wear something that covers your ankle, and that won't fly off in a crash. I like my feet, I bet you do too.

So now you've got your bike and gear, you know how to operate a bike because you took the MSF, which in turn got you your license. You're ready to GO! But where do you go? And who do you go with?

Local Clubs I'm not talking about the Hells Angels or even one of those goof ball "Hey you gotta be a probational member and wash bikes for a year" clubs with colors and charity runs... ick. I'm talking about groups who just like to hang out and ride together. You'll find all kinds. Google can usually help if you just search for Motorcyle forum <your city> Replace forum with club/group/bike night and get out there and meet the community. Everyone loves bikes, and most of us are very open to new comers. Just beware of the bad crowd. Every community has em. For us, it's typically stunters who like to ply their passion on public roads, and street racers who feel they can cheat death indefinitely.

So you've made some friends in the biker community, gone to a few bike nights, and now you're going on your first group ride. A LOT of people do this. Riding with groups is FUN. Everyone feels part of something and being able to share your enjoyment with others always enhances the experience.

The Pace The Pace - Nick Ienatsch - Motorcyclist magazine
The Pace is all about riding YOUR ride. Whether you're way out in front, dead last, or in the middle of the pack, you're the only one in control of the throttle. It's also about being smooth and responsible. About realizing the difference between an epic beautiful stretch of mountain highway, and a purpose built race track. You follow The Pace and you'll become a better rider, have more fun, and be much safer.

Alright! You've been riding a while now, having a blast, and meeting new people. You've gained the skills needed to put that bike anywhere you want, and the confidence to not be afraid of it anymore. You're also starting to feel the eventual need to go faster... faster than the law allows. Modern bikes (especially sport bikes) have way more power than you'll ever be able to use on the road. Since you've taken the MSF, and followed what The Pace said, you know that public roads are not the place to explore this need. What do you do?

Hit the Track Baby!! I absolutely LOVE track days. Your first trackday feels like sitting in line at the amusement part when you were a kid, waiting to get on your first upside down roller coaster. The track is a place to explore your boundaries in a safe environment. All track days will have an ambulance on site. They will have a crew dedicated to watching the track every second that riders are on it. So if you do go down and need help, it's noticed quickly, and responded to ASAP by trained medical personnel. The bad things aside... You get to go out and REALLY play with your bike. It will take a few laps for you to memorize the track but once you do, you can really start improving and pushing your limits. The ABSOLUTE best part about a trackday is that you can turn off SO many of the safety switches that you need while riding on the road. No cops, cars, guard rails, mountain sides, water, sand, oil, acorns, oncoming traffic, dogs, cross streets, stop lights, stop signs, railroad crossings, painted lines across the road, dirt, gravel, grandma's, tollbooths, lane dividers... You get the idea :) You can just forget about all these things you normally have to look out for, and concentrate on riding.

You will however have to upgrade your safety gear. A full leather suit is required. As are race boots. This part can be expensive, but in my opinion it is absolutely worth it. To be able to push into the limits that you've wanted to so badly while street riding, and do it with out fear of all the crazy shit that can occur on the road. It's addicting :)

Road Racing World has a nice site with a bunch of track day organizations listed on it.
Buyer's Guide // RoadracingWorld.com

Find one in your area and look into it. Please note: that page has some track SCHOOL'S as well. They are more expensive, but you may be interested in them. My first time on the track was with Jason Pridmore's STAR school. Expensive, but i definitely got my moneys worth.

That's probably a big enough wall of text. Hope it helps someone :)

Much appreciated Mael, I'm just getting started down this road myself and it's awfully well timed.

Is there another company besides Draggin' Jeans making reinforced denim? Will probably pick up a pair this year, wore jeans during last year's heatwave as the 1-piece textile suit would have roasted me.

Seconded on the hiking boots for the street, did that for many years and still wear them in town. Have a pair of "proper" boots for long rides for better water resistance.

I've used the Icon Barrier jeans but they don't make them anymore and have stopped selling as many models as they used to.

I bought the Icon jeans because a buddy of mine got a tank slapper in front of me and it spit him off at 70+. He had a pair of these on and they were ripped to shreds. Only thing still intact was the Kevlar and his skin. Wish I had taken a picture.

Nice, seen too much roadrash on buddies and myself. Don't want the scars and can't afford the downtime.

Roadrash is not fun. Unfortunately a lot of people look at only the price of the bike, and typically get close to over extending themselves on even that price. To then learn that you HAVE to spend $100 minimum on the lowest end brain cage, plus a couple hundred more on a jacket, maybe gloves as well. People tend to skimp.

Till they find out first hand that human skin comes off like butter. Then they either sell the bike ASAP, or gain a little smarts and buy gear.

"Dress for the crash, not the ride."

Going to be picking up my tickets for Infinion soon, vvvrrrrooooommmm.

The moto x and super moto will probably be better than the revamped road races...

Great post Mael. Packed with good stuff; I wish more threads were as content-laden as this.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

And I doubt I'll go to any of the AMA races this year. It looks more like a club race with a bunch of has beens and never will be's. I might hit up the GP race at Laguna but I dunno. Supermoto races are FUN to watch :)

I think I'm going to focus my time and money into my racing and work on some upgrades for my bike. Got a line on a Penske triple clicker, and I'm thinking about a quarter turn throttle for it.

better than newenough: www.sportbiketrackgear.com

and as far as gear

helmet: if its dot/snell certified, its safe. price is all about comfort/materials/noise. buy whatever fits your head shape best.

jacket: I buy leather. tex is safe, but.. I buy leather.

pants: I like the A* street cargo.. they're khaki colored, good protection, look casual enough. I have leather track ones too, though.

feet: here's where I disagree. Always wear boots designed for motorcycles. Hiking boots and workboots will not fucking cut it. Reason: I had a low speed crash about a year in. The rear brake almost chopped off my big toe - almost - it hit the plate in my boots and sliced off the leather instead. Walked away from what would otherwise have been a lost appendage. It doesn't matter if you crash on the street or the track! It's the same fucking situation.

Last edited:
I completely agree with what triple said.

However, I've given up on trying to hit home runs when it comes to safety gear. I'm happy with simply getting on base. If someone wears hiking boots instead of Vans, when they otherwise would ignore the post if they had to spend money on legit motorcycle boots, I'm happy.

But you ARE right. Purpose built safety gear is always best.

people should work gear into the cost of the bike. If you can afford $8500, spend $7000 on a bike and $1500 on gear

Yep. But a lot of folks won't be convinced of that. They'll learn one way or another.

Back