[fitness]Critique my exercise plan

Razer

Contributor
Veteran X
So I've been exercising a bit for the past two months. I'm not going crazy, because I don't want to burn out, and I don't think I have a lot of work to do. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle mass. I'm not looking to bodybuild, just increase mass a little and tone up. Basically, I want to have a masculine body, even if it's not super cut. By that, I mean that I'd like my torso to look more like a V and less like an A.

So currently, I'm 6 foot and roughly 175, and I'm 26 years old. My metabolism is starting to slow down a bit, and I likes my beer, so I can see the beginnings of a spare tire.

Here's what I've been doing 2-3 times a week for the past two months:
3 sets of squats - currently about 30 per set
3 sets of calf raises - currently about 40 per set
3 sets of pushups - currently about 25 per set
3 sets of dips - currently only about 15 per set
3 sets of crunches - currently about 40 per set
3 sets of leg lifts - currently about 15 per set
3 sets of dumbell curls - currently only 12 per set at 20 pounds
3 sets of dumbell shrugs - currently only about 12 per set at 20 pounds

I've seen results, and I'm pleased with my progress so far. The number of repetitions per set is increasing; I think I began at about 10 pushups and like 6 curls. I'm also noticeably gaining mass on my pecs and triceps. I'm just looking to tone up a bit and add a little mass, not get really jacked, so that's why I'm not going nuts and targetting smaller muscles with more weights.

So here are my questions:
Am I neglecting any large areas of my body? I don't think I'm doing much for my shoulders or back.
Are there any exercises I can do in my home that will work parts I'm neglecting? I'm not interested in joining a gym, so free weight exercies and exercises that use my own weight are what I'm looking for.
I'm thinking of jogging on my off days, 2 days a week. If I do this, should I ease up on the squats and calf raises?

Any input is appreciated. I've never been very athletic, so I'm not really looking to impress anyone with my routine. However, I would like to make sure I cover the muscle groups that make the most difference in my figure.

I like to lift 3 days a week, separated by days of 30 minutes of cardio and 15+ minutes of stretching with rest on weekends.

As for your workouts:

3 sets of squats - currently about 30 per set - Squats are awesome, keep this.
3 sets of calf raises - currently about 40 per set - Consider merging or alternating with the hamstring leg-lifts.
3 sets of pushups - currently about 25 per set - Cool.
3 sets of dips - currently only about 15 per set - Cool.
3 sets of crunches - currently about 40 per set - Consider moving to the jogging/cardio days along with your stretching. You aren't doing crunches to build muscle or strength, just to tone the stomach.
3 sets of leg lifts - currently about 15 per set - see above
3 sets of dumbell curls - currently only 12 per set at 20 pounds - Cool, 20 pounds is very low for curling though considering you can do everything else here... care to elaborate?
3 sets of dumbell shrugs - currently only about 12 per set at 20 pounds - Shrugs only build traps muscles, consider doing them every other week or once a month unless you want to have no neck. A much better workout for your upper body is a military press or Arnold press.

I'm no expert though, just speaking from my own experience.

edit:

Yea pullups or a lateral pull-down machine is a great workout for upper back and lats. Or lawnmowers.

I'm not sure what the deal with the curls is. To be honest, when I first started like two months ago, I could barely do 7, and I wasn't feeling any improvement. Then about two weeks ago I kind of got over the hump and felt a lot of improvement all at once. Now I think it's almost time to move up to 25 pounds.

Maybe I should have started with 15 pounds and gone for higher reps?

I've had periods in the past where I worked out, and my biceps have always been lacking. I don't think I've ever curled more than 30. The only thing I could think of is that I used to do my curls seated with my arm resting against my inner leg; maybe I was cheating and not realizing it? Now I do them standing, alternating arms on each curl.

Oh, and are presses possible with dumbells? I don't have a barbell, or a large area to work out in.

20 pound shrugs? get the fuck out...

I've seen 12 year olds boys shrug 40s at least...Yes i watch little boys at the gym.
I guarantee your traps are stronger than 12 reps of 20 pounds...Try 40/50 and see the difference.

You don't have any shoulder exercises? Real men have big shoulders...
Your bicepts won't outgrow those suckers anyways so start doing some barbell rows and some shoulder presses.

And if you want that V shaped, you gotta work your back. That means your dorsals and your main back. AS mentionned, do some pull ups and some rowing. 4 sets each maybe? 12 reps

And as for the 30 and 40 reps of squats and calfraises...that's definitely overkill...Add weight and go lower. 10-12 reps

AND think about ditching those pushups for some benching...AND add some tricepts exercises to your routine!!!

Here's a list of bodyparts and exercises that go with them

http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

If you feel/know the weight you are doing for a workout is very low, you should go for higher weights and less reps to get your muscles to start responding and "waking up". In fact I would recommend doing negatives on biceps for a bit. Start with the weight (Try 30 pounds or so) at the top near your shoulder and control the fall. Then use your other arm to bring it back up and do it again. Let the weight down as slowly as you can control it each time. Do these until it burns... you'll notice improvement.

This can be done for alot of workouts but some may require a buddy to help you/spot you.

As for doing "cheater" curls... I see it all the time in the gym. Swinging the weights, or even pulling the weight to the outside and using the shoulder are both common. The best way to combat this is to do curls at a preacher bench with your resting arm behind your back. That way it is just your arm and the dumbbell. You can probably even use a chair as a preacher bench if you had to. Standing works fine too just focus on keeping your elbows at your sides and your back straight.

I'm sure I could shrug more. I only do 20 pounds in each hand because thats the same weight I curl and I don't want to have to switch weights every 5 minutes.

As for bench presses, I work out alone and at home. Plus, I don't have a bench. So I think push ups are safer at the moment. If I end up at a gym then I'll probably switch push ups for benches. But like I said, I'm not trying to get huge. I also have a small frame for a 6 foot guy and I've been thin my whole life, so it doesn't take a ton of muscle to improve my body's appearance.

Oh shit yea fucking cardio is right. You're not really overweight but definitely do some cardio and attempt to lose like 5-10 pounds.

If i were you I'd replace your leg workouts with some running. Or some biking if you start getting calf splints or knee pain

Razer said:
Here's what I've been doing 2-3 times a week for the past two months:
3 sets of squats - currently about 30 per set
3 sets of calf raises - currently about 40 per set
3 sets of pushups - currently about 25 per set
3 sets of dips - currently only about 15 per set
3 sets of crunches - currently about 40 per set
3 sets of leg lifts - currently about 15 per set
3 sets of dumbell curls - currently only 12 per set at 20 pounds
3 sets of dumbell shrugs - currently only about 12 per set at 20 pounds

Scratch all that and just go swimming.

I'd definitely go jogging 2 if not 3 times a week. For fat burning aim to go around a slow pace, maybe 9-10 minute miles. The problem with high aerobic/anerobic fitness is the active calorie burning will be from carbs as opposed to fats. Just lifting will certainly get you tone and some lost weight, but to be truly healthy it's best to try and do 1 hour aerobic (whatever gets your heart rate up) pieces about every day.

Try to start with a reasonable distance at first and slowly work up (maybe adding 10% each time if you're comfortable with it). Running puts a lot of impact on various parts of the lower leg so don't overdo it if you do want to be serious about it and you haven't had much experience. Other good options for aerobic activity are biking and ellipticals.

If the weight training is something you enjoy keep with it. I'm not too sure about the specific routines you're doing, but just go with whatever you feel you're capable of.

Also a lot of working out is for mental health as well, so really go with what you feel that you like to do.

Oh, and are presses possible with dumbells? I don't have a barbell, or a large area to work out in.

Yes and dumbell shoulder press will help develop surrounding stabilizer muscles as well. That will be a great workout.

As for cardio I recommend biking... running is the best but the impact kills me and I have flat feet.

So far, I think Arnold Presses with dumbells would be a good addition to my routine. Is there any danger to doing them standing? Or should I definitely sit when I do them?

Back