Everytime I try to rotate a picture in PS, it reboots my PC - weird.

Pen

Veteran XV
This is not so much a "whats wrong with my PC?" thread as it is just about how weird this problem is.

On a Windows PC, using a function in an application is sooo far abstracted from the hardware that its kind of amazing that you can do a specific thing and make the comp reboot.

My PC is otherwise very stable - I can play games like CoD4 for hours and hours and never crash. I monitor the temps - everything stays in normal range (under 60C).

Yet - if my wife or I use Photo Shop (an old version - very old like version 6?) to rotate a pic, the calculations it runs have at least a 50/50 chance of doing a hard reset.

This is what I have:

Intel Pentium D940 (3.2Ghz dual core - after P4, before core-duo)
Gigabyte motherboard (Intel P35 chipset? or is it G35?)
4GB Ram
ATI X1950 Pro 512
Audigy 2
PCI PATA Controller
PATA DVDRW
PATA Hitachi 180GB
PATA Seagate 160GB
SATA Seagate 160GB

Corsair 450W PS (new)

The Corsair 450W is fairly new - I had an Ultra 400 for about a year prior but over the last 2 months, the PC started doing hard resets frequently - like 3-6 times per day sometimes. I figured the PS was bad so I bought the Corsair - I didnt need overkill and they seem to get good reviews and be of high quality.

I thought the reboot problem had disappeared entirely - my son plays games on it a lot without any problem and so do I, but my wife was telling me it did it a lot in Photoshop (which just seemed hard to believe that it was that predictable).

The only thing I can guess is that the CPU might be defective and certain routines in PS call upon a part of the chip that is bad, or the processing is so intense that the power demands exceed the PS and cause a reboot. I am leaning towards the defective CPU because I would think that hours of gaming would tax the cooling and power deliver much more than a 5 second photo process.

I really hate the planters ad with the guys falling for the ugly bitch rubbing planter nuts on her like perfume.

wow, 3 replies inside of 2 minutes - that is impressive.

I really hate the planters ad with the guys falling for the ugly bitch rubbing planter nuts on her like perfume.

I like the chicken bacon taco in the purse as man-bait on the taco bell commercial.

but really you should install a version of photoshop that isnt from the 1980s
maybe CS or better, i bet it fixes

When running software that is very memory and CPU intensive, using the oldest version possible is always the smartest policy.

Spoiler

otherwise...
i'd go with memory (if it is a hardware) problem. probably using an area of memory that never gets used otherwise. i am testing some ram now, overclocked to the tits. ok to about 1.5GB, use any more and it crashes. just been too lazy to take it out.

but really you should install a version of photoshop that isnt from the 1980s
maybe CS or better, i bet it fixes

I agree its not ideal, but its the only version I have and up until I got the dual core CPU, it worked great (yes, I see a pattern here) for the trivial things we do with it.

Problem is your 2000 dpi mouse
TW Never forgets.
The crazy thing about the G5 (which developed a bad right button and got RMA'd for a 2 button version so it now rocks that much harder...)
I have a "laser mouse pad" stuck to the keyboard area with a light adhesive - it works great and is very thin. Wife and boy INSIST on using a black old-school thick mouse pad - it makes the mouse jump all over the place like its on crack - I can't even use it like that. They don't even notice - weird.

When running software that is very memory and CPU intensive, using the oldest version possible is always the smartest policy.

No, not true - duh.

When was the last time you reinstalled Windows?

2-3 months ago. XP - fully updated and the bare minimum of crap (mostly just HP drivers and Yahoo IM) I actually dual boot XP - I have my own install for gaming - no printer drivers (the HP ones are horrible) and kids cant install malware or change settings, etc)

Spoiler

otherwise...
i'd go with memory (if it is a hardware) problem. probably using an area of memory that never gets used otherwise. i am testing some ram now, overclocked to the tits. ok to about 1.5GB, use any more and it crashes. just been too lazy to take it out.

The thing is - a memory problem would be more random - this is completely and weirdly specific. Windows virtualizes all RAM and cannot write to a specific part of RAM intentionally - thats why all the RAM testers are real mode DOS.

Ill test it over night just for giggles.

My cat is licking his penis...

In Soviet Union...

Try a new version of photoshop?

Or simply use the windows picture viewer.

The point is that software should not be able to do that to hardware - there are too many layers trying to prevent it from happening.

definitely the ram
(probably)

If it was, it would be randomly unstable in general - this system crashes from one very very specific event. If this was a real-mode OS, I would agree since it would do direct memory access, but Windows does not use memory that way at all. (I'm repeating myself now)

Its not 2 or 3 times - its like 20-30 times.

Last edited:
Back