Europe's airports are closing due to a volcano

in iceland

Wrong. Whole scandinavia is halting stuff due to this. I was personally shocked how widespread the ash cloud was, it easily reached nothern Finland.

It basically may be able to shut down airplane engines so they are not taking any risks, especially after what happened in Poland.

fine particulates and aircraft engines don't mix well

Basically, from an article I read, the ash particles actually melt during the intake phase so they turn liquid, and then they turn back to solid when they mix the fuel in, so the fuel nozzles can get clogged shut. No fuel, no burn.

Basically, from an article I read, the ash particles actually melt during the intake phase so they turn liquid, and then they turn back to solid when they mix the fuel in, so the fuel nozzles can get clogged shut. No fuel, no burn.

There is also silica in the ash. Sand and moving parts don't cooperate very well.

The cloud should reach Paris around midnight (6pm est) all the airports are closed till at least 2 pm tmorow.

Last edited:
I want to see pictures of parisians covered in ash.

frenchman.jpg

i'm leaving for Spain next week, this better not fuck up the flight. apparently last time this volcano erupted, it did so for 2 years.

Back