ESPN Insider Request Plz - NHL Prospect Report

Hamilton is going to be really good.

Brian Burke traded Tyler sequin and Doug Hamilton for phill kessel... too funny.

Like last Friday, we're again taking some time to look at some already-drafted prospects. Today's column features write-ups on prospects who are having great seasons, based on notes from my own observations of the players and discussions I've had with scouts and front office executives. At the top of the list, it looks like the defending Stanley Cup champions have another great blueliner in the pipeline.

Dougie Hamilton, D, Boston Bruins (Niagara-OHL)

Going into the 2011 draft, Hamilton was seen as a very toolsy defender, as he is a very big man who could skate and handle the puck better than most players his size, but needed some refining and certainly wasn't a finished product. This season we've seen a different Hamilton.

While one can look at box score stats and see he's among the top 20 in OHL scoring -- with the next defenseman way down the list -- his success goes beyond the offense. Hamilton no longer looks like the raw project he once was. He's thinking the game at a much quicker pace, making better decision and showing more creativity. One pro scout described him as a player whose "development curve is headed straight up" and several scouts I talked to said he was the best defenseman at the World Juniors, despite not being recognized as a top two defenseman by the media awards.

Mark Barberio, D, Tampa Bay Lightning (Norfolk-AHL)

Barberio is a prospect whose stock has skyrocketed over the last year or so and is currently one of the leading scorers among drafted players in the AHL, forwards included. As a 20-year-old he started his first AHL season last year with Norfolk as a third pairing defender who was sheltered, and this year he's their number one who is electric offensively and is leaned on defensively. He's a plus skater who has great speed and is quick off the line, is very aware and effective distributing the puck and is steadily coming into form physically to prepare himself to make the jump to the next level. It won't be too long before the sixth-round pick in 2008 is a fixture in the Tampa lineup.

Zack Phillips, C, Minnesota Wild (Saint John-QMJHL)

During the 2011 draft year, Phillips got a few negatives put on him. Scouts and pundits knocked him for his poor skating, his skinny frame or the fact he seemed a product of playing with Jonathan Huberdeau. I would be lying if I said I wasn't crazy about him either, however from seeing him play this year and talking to several scouts, it's quite evident that Phillips is a guy on the rise. He's his team's leading scorer with 64 points in 43 games, and while he has always been known for his good puck skills and vision, his playmaking arguably has looked a grade better this year on top of much improved skating ability. He projects as a legit scorer at the highest level who can play center or wing effectively.

Gustav Nyquist, RW, Detroit Red Wings (Grand Rapids-AHL)

I remember watching Nyquist in the 2009-10 season for the University of Maine, a season he finished as a finalist for the Hobey Baker award given to the best player in college hockey. He dazzled with his high-end puck skills and hockey sense and playmaking ability. Two years later it's the same story as Nyquist has been a force in his first AHL season being one of the league's leading scorers notching 37 points in 37 games. His body hasn't filled out as you would hope for a 22-year-old and he's just a tick above-average skating-wise, but his tremendous possession skills make the fourth-round pick in 2008 one of the best forward prospects outside the NHL.

Justin Schultz, D, Anaheim Ducks (Wisconsin-WCHA)

Justin Schultz is having a monster campaign for the Badgers. He's top 10 in the nation in scoring and really looks solid beyond the college ranks. Schultz has a fantastic feel for the game, showing great hockey sense at both ends. He can play great defense, will make high-end passes with regularity and can really control the flow of the game. He's average-sized with skating ability around the same level, but that is counterbalanced by his other well above-average qualities. On the whole, he is one of the best defense prospects out there. The Ducks were hoping he would sign after a great sophomore season, but Schultz returned to Wisconsin, something I wasn't crazy about from a development standpoint as I figured he wouldn't learn much by dominating the league.

Michael Sgarbossa, C, San Jose Sharks (Sudbury-OHL)

Michael Sgarbossa is having an excellent season in the OHL as a 19-year-old as one of the league's top scorers. Sgarbossa has been an interesting prospect to follow, after going undrafted in 2010, he was signed to an entry level deal by the Sharks in September as an 18-year-old in the OHL which is very unusual; after it was clear he became a significantly better player in the course of a few months. Sgarbossa is a gritty player who brings a lot of energy to the table. He does have notable offensive upside as he's an above-average puck distributor and finisher who has solid hands as well. I think a reasonable ceiling for him is an average to slightly above average NHL player, which would be nice value for a player the Sharks didn't even spend a draft pick on.

Michael St. Croix, C, New York Rangers (Edmonton-WHL)

St. Croix was highly touted at the start of the 2011 draft season. He fell to the fourth round after a lot of concerns were raised about his game, but right now he is one of the leading scorers in the WHL. I'm a big fan of St. Croix as he has great, if not high-end, puck skills and vision and is truly an impressive offensive possession weapon, however I have gotten conflicting reports on him from industry sources. His skating was an issue last year, but one Edmonton-based WHL scout praises the improvements he's made in that area as well as his conditioning, while two other scouts still aren't thrilled with his speed. His physical game certainly needs a lot of work and he isn't exactly a crash-and-bang player and for a smaller player he needs to be better in that area. However he has very desirable upside, and certainly has top-six skill level, which you usually don't find in the fourth round. He's one of those boom/bust picks who can bring great value or never be heard from again. Right now I would bet more on the former than the latter.

Vladimir Tarasenko, RW, St. Louis Blues (SKA-KHL)

While Washington Capitals top prospect Evgeny Kuznetsov got a lot of press for his World Junior performance, it sometimes becomes easy to forget about Tarasenko, one of the top scorers in the world's second best league. He was too old for the U-20 tournament, but is a player who is as good as Kuznetsov and I would say just marginally better. Tarasenko is a tremendous all-around player with elite puck skills and finishing ability who can set up plays as well, and despite his average height is quite effective in the physical game. Despite not having a North American season under his belt, I would not be surprised at all if Tarasenko steps into the Blues lineup next year in a scoring role.

As always, if you want an elaboration about a player mentioned, or you want to ask a question about a player not profiled, feel free to leave a comment.

Thanks XTasy

And yes, Peter Cherelli and Neely robbed Toronto. I don't know how Burke even has a job at this point.

but hey, at least Kessel went 8th in yesterday's draft!

Hamilton is going to be really good.

Brian Burke traded Tyler sequin and Doug Hamilton for phill kessel... too funny.

How does Burke still have a job after that? This guy is the most overrated GM in history. Mike Milbury thinks Burke is a clown.

things in Toronto are weird, they have no interest in winning and haven't even made it to the finals in 45 years.

that said, Burke calls press conferences to announce he's sending down a worthless goon that plays 4 min a game but doesn't announce he resigns his incompetent best bud Ron Wilson to extensions.

Pot calling the Kettle Black there though in all honesty re: millbury...and I'm a Bruins fan that thinks his shoe beating was one of the funniest things to ever happen in hockey.

Millbury is fucking dumbass goon. Half the time he argues viciously with the other analysts. During the last Olympics I thought Roenick was punch him on camera.

He's such a condescending prick.

Pretty much agree 100%. He excelled at being a dumbass goon during his career however I can't really stand him as an analyst, except when he gets worked up over fights or people playing dirty and he starts demanding justice...love it when he gets crazy about that shit.

Did you hear about his last little fuck-up?

NBC analyst Mike Milbury charged with assaulting child (update) - Puck Daddy - NHL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

WCVB TV in Boston reported Friday that NBC and CBC hockey analyst Mike Milbury has been charged with allegedly assaulting a child at a local hockey rink last week.

According to WCVB, Milbury is an assistant coach for a youth team in Brookline, Mass., and the 12-year-old alleged victim is a player from another team in the league.

I don't think anything ever came of this....but still.

Yeah, the lady was full of shit and trying to extort money out of Millbury. The cops dropped the case once they interviewed everyone at the rink and realized how exaggerated her claims were.

That was sarcasm about Milbury. He was one of the worst GMs ever. You could build an allstar team from the players he traded away when with the Isles. They've still never recovered from him.

Yeah, the lady was full of shit and trying to extort money out of Millbury. The cops dropped the case once they interviewed everyone at the rink and realized how exaggerated her claims were.

The sad thing is is that even though it's BS I thought it was real because that's just how Millbury is.

Back