[espn insider req] sex, drugs, agents in college ball

It starts with 20 questions that are linked...too much work.

I'll do 5 for you, what numbers?

1. Who is the nation's best player?
2. How many teams should be in the NCAA Tournament?
3. Do you ever notice the other team's cheerleaders?
4. Do you think college players should be paid?
5. Were you ever offered money as a recruit?
6. Should there be a 4-point line?
7. Have you ever been approached by an agent?
8. If you had to do it all over again, would you pick the same school?
9. What is the best program in college basketball?
10. What is the most overrated program in college basketball?
11. Do you think any of your teammates are taking PEDs?
12. Have you ever bet on a game or been approached about throwing one?
13. How many times each week are you hit on just because you play college basketball?
14. Who's the nation's smartest coach?
15. Who's the last coach you'd play for?
16. Do you trust your coach?
17. Which school has the biggest home court advantage?
18. Have you ever hooked up in your arena?
19. Do you think you have any gay teammates?
20. Who will win the 2010 tourney?

Were you ever offered money as a recruit?

Yes: 9 percent

No: 91 percent

Explanation:

Only 9 percent answered yes, and eight of those respondents came from the power conferences. Said a conference POY: "Big-time schools compete for big-time players. That's how they get them." Others just laughed at that question and gave a similar reply. "Oh man, I wish," one player said.

Have you ever been approached by an agent?

Yes: 41 percent

No: 59 percent

Explanation:

While a majority of the players haven't been approached by an agent, among those who claimed they had, 34 percent said agents reach out to them on Facebook. "You hear crazy stories about the old days of phone calls and letters and all that," one player says. "Now I just always get notes through Facebook."

What is the best program in college basketball?

1. North Carolina: 62 percent

2. Duke: 9 percent

3. Kentucky: 7 percent

4. Kansas: 5 percent

5. UCLA: 4 percent

T6. Michigan State and Gonzaga: 2 percent

T8. 11 schools (Arizona, Clemson, Florida, Louisville, Memphis, Syracuse, Texas, UConn, Villanova, Virginia, Washington) tied at 1 percent

Explanation:

There was no debate here: 62 percent of players named North Carolina. "They have the whole package: solid coach, great facilities, always good players, everybody seems to like Roy Williams," concluded one ACC rival.

Have you ever bet on a game or been approached about throwing one?

Yes: 2 percent

No: 98 percent

Explanation:

Only two players said this has happened. Said one of those two: "I was offered $25,000. They didn't want me to lose, just win by less than we were favored by. They said I should miss some shots, maybe make a few turnovers." A third player admitted to making wagers, but not monetary. "I've never been asked to throw a game," he says. "But I have made friendly bets on pushups or other things to do with girls."

Have you ever hooked up at your arena?

Yes: 20 percent

No: 80 percent

Explanation:

One in five players answered yes to this question. One even says, "Yes, but only ever with my wife." And don't think that the players who responded yes all came from enormous basketball powerhouses: half of those who admitted they had hooked up at the home court came from mid-major schools.

Side Note: I dated a volleyball player during college, and i banged her inside their locker room late one night. So ya, I had the sex.

Since I bet you're dying to know, I'll throw the gay one in for free...fag.

Do you think you have any gay teammates?

Yes: 7 percent

No: 91 percent

Maybe: 2 percent

Explanation:

Seven players think they do and two more said maybe. Contrast that with College Football Confidential, where 49.4 percent of those surveyed answered yes. Even some of the hoops players who answered no offered curious replies: Two players said no and said that some of the locker room shenanigans they've witnessed were nothing more than playful pranks.

What is the most overrated program in college basketball?

Which program is the most overrated?
Duke
Gonzaga
Kentucky
UCLA
Other

1. Duke: 43 percent

2. Kentucky: 6 percent

T3. UCLA and Florida: 5 percent

T5. Memphis and Gonzaga: 4 percent

8. Indiana: 3 percent

T9. Georgetown, Maryland, Michigan State, North Carolina, Oregon and USC: 2 percent

T15. 16 schools (Clemson, Davidson, Louisville, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, Notre Dame, Providence, Purdue, Rutgers, Tennessee, Texas, Villanova, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Washington): 1 percent

Explanation
This was another landslide on Tobacco Road, this one for the guys down the pike: 43 percent said Duke. "They don't win big any more, and they don't produce enough pro talent to get all that spotlight," says one Pac-10 player.

lol

Who's the best player in the nation?

1. Sherron Collins, Kansas: 19 percent

2. Luke Harangody, Notre Dame: 17 percent

3. Not sure: 14 percent

4. Ed Davis, North Carolina: 10 percent

T5. John Wall, Kentucky, and Cole Aldrich, Kansas: 8 percent

7. Kalin Lucas, Michigan State: 3 percent

T8. Willie Warren, Oklahoma; Kyle Singler, Duke; Al-Farouq Aminu, Wake Forest; Himself (two players thought they were best the player): 2 percent

T11. 13 players with 1 percent

Explanation
For the most part, the BCS conference and non-BCS players voted the same way. The one major difference: small-school players like Kansas big man Cole Aldrich a lot more than their colleagues. Aldrich received two votes (out of 43) from the major conferences. But among non-BCS voters, he got a lot more love. Aldrich received six of his eight total votes here, from six different conferences. "I've played against a bunch of good big guys," said one West Coast Conference center. "Aldrich is the best I've faced. He dominates."

Last edited:
How many teams should be in the NCAA Tournament?

1. 65: 56 percent

2. 64: 20 percent

3. 128: 6 percent

4. 75: 5 percent

T5. 70 and 80: 3 percent

T7. 32 and 96: 2 percent

9. Three different team totals tied at 1 percent

Explanation
Most players (56 percent of those polled) like the tournament the way it is. One in five, however, would like to ditch the play-in game. "One of those teams could go -- they have no chance of winning," says one Big Ten player. A sizeable chunk (21 percent) said the tourney should add teams. But three players also said the tournament should be cut down, including a Conference USA player who said, "This number just came to me: Drop it down to 25 teams."

Last edited:
Do you ever notice the other teams' cheerleaders?

Yes: 86 percent

No: 14 percent

Explanation
This one was an uncontested alley-oop during practice -- of course we notice the cheerleaders, players said. But when we asked the obvious follow-up question of who has the hottest cheerleaders, players weren't so unanimous. Oregon, winner of the same survey question in our College Football Confidential, won again, with 10 of 69 percent. The rest of the results:

1. Oregon: 10 percent

T2. Miami and UCLA: 7 percent

T4. Florida State and USC: 5 percent

5. Utah State: 4 percent

6. Louisville: 3 percent

T7. Arkansas, Florida and Florida International: 2 percent

T10. 22 schools with 1 percent

Last edited:
Do you think college players should be paid?

Yes: 54 percent

No: 46 percent

Explanation
Uh, yes, players said, but by a relatively narrow margin. When we asked college football players the same question this summer, 71 percent said they should be paid. Basketball players weren't nearly so sure, especially those from smaller conferences. Of the 57 players from non-BCS conferences who were surveyed, 30 (52.6 percent) answered no.

Said one player from a big school: "Most of us are from poorer backgrounds. We'd like to be able to send a few bucks home."

Countered a mid-major player: "Nah, we don't do this for the money. We love the game. If we deserve to be paid, some day some of us will."

Last edited:
Should there be a 4-point line?

Yes: 21 percent

No: 79 percent

Explanation
Players say no, and they were adamant about it. In fact, of the 23 conferences we hit up for the poll, 22 voted against adding a 4-point line. The one conference that seemed (relatively) open to the idea? The Big Ten, where two of the four players surveyed voted yes. Said one gunner: "I can shoot, so absolutely, I'd love an extra point."

Last edited:
If you had to do it all over again, would you pick the same school?

Yes: 84 percent

No: 16 percent

Explanation
The good news is, the vast majority of those surveyed feel like they landed in the right place. Bad news: there are still some players who do not feel that way. Five players echoed a similar reason, voiced by one Big West star: "I rushed my choice. I would have made more visits, for sure."

Do you think any of your teammates are taking PEDs?

Yes: 4 percent

No: 95 percent

Not sure: 1 percent

Explanation
When we asked college football players this over the summer, 55 percent said they suspected teammates of taking performance-enhancing drugs. But in hoops, only 4 percent said yes, and 1 percent said they couldn't be sure. Said one player who wonders sometimes: "There has to be somebody -- there always is. Some guys get pretty big without a lot of sweat in the weight room. Hard to believe that's natural."

Last edited:
How many times each week are you hit on just because you play college basketball?

On average, college basketball players are hit on 6.9 times per week. But, as this top 20 shows, the number of advances per week ranges from twice a day (Big East) to once every two days. All numbers are weekly averages.

1. Big East: 13.4 hits per week

2. MAC: 11.3

T3. America East and Pac-10: 11

5. Big West: 9

6. Ohio Valley: 8.5

7. Southland: 8.3

8. ACC: 7.3

T9. Conference USA, Southern, Summit and WAC: 6

13. Missouri Valley: 5

14. Atlantic 10: 4.8

15: MEAC: 4.3

16. Big Sky: 4.1