Electrical question

Mustang

Veteran X
okay iam getting ready to move into a house that all the electric outlets only have 2 holes. So iam wondering if I take one of those adapters and put it on a surge protecter then plug my computers into that will they be protected from lightning and such? or am i pretty much fucked?

what if you switched out the outlet with a three-prong?

EDIT:
like use one of these bitches...

hub9919b.jpg

Last edited:
the third prong is a ground...its a good idea to have one so charge can't accumulate in the cord and shock the fuck out of you when you accidently touch it

OK, dismiss all posts so far. I am an electrician.

Please call an electrician, or open the outlet yourself. Most likely the outlet was not grounded, and was wired before 1967 when it became code that all outlets must be wired with a ground. If you want a grounded outlet, you're probably going to need an electrician to do it.

Acerbity said:

Please call an electrician, or open the outlet yourself. Most likely the outlet was not grounded, and was wired before 1967 when it became code that all outlets must be wired with a ground. If you want a grounded outlet, you're probably going to need an electrician to do it.

you forgot to tell him to turn off the power before he opened it.

just dont stand in water while touching anything
and dont listen to any 'electricians' pfff overrated

Osurak said:
you forgot to tell him to turn off the power before he opened it.

You don't need to, unless you're going to feel for a ground.

If he is dumb enough to feel for a ground, any disclaimer I add is going to be null anyway.

Acerbity said:

pfft, he just wants work ;)

if you have metal piping for the electric, and it is grounded, then yes, you can get one of those 2 prong adapters. Screw the little adapter cable to the center post of the outlet and you should be good.

your stuff will work yes... but surge protectors will most likely not be very useful [protection-wise]

if he doesn't know how to check for ground, then he shouldn't be messing with it in the first place.

VPR said:
your stuff will work yes... but surge protectors will most likely not be very useful [protection-wise]
yeah, if you get a direct lightning hit, and the full force of a bolt of lightning comes down the lines, some little box isnt going to do shit. theres no stopping that stuff..

Back