Earning A+ Certification; Getting Financial Aid, Grants, Scholarships.

CoJack

Veteran XV
Veteran XX
hey there TW. i'm interested in going back to school to earn a certificate in A+ and security+. i'm hopeful with some of your guyz insight you can answer a couple of questions.

*1st* is it worth the money to pursue a education in these fields? or am i better off just studying the material and then taking the exams? was told by another that its a waste of money....to just study the material and take the exams and i should be fine.

*2nd* NEED FUNDS! anyone whose worked the system know of some places to start off for getting grants, aid, scholarships? i only know of calgrant.gov and fasfa only so far.

*3rd* Preparation, Resources, etc. what's good...what to stay away from..etc

~thanks to those replying.

Jsut get the books and do the test. A+ is super easy, I don't know about Security+ but I'm guessing it's about the same.

The market is flooded with IT people looking for jobs. GL. I've been looking for almost a year with no luck. Just small contracts here and there to pay some bills. Nothing perm yet.

lol.gif

currently in telecommuications. install phone systems and network switches for a living. after 10yrs, its become monotomous and uninteresting. i need a change. you're telling me to stay in my field and be unhappy? i'd rather help others with computer related issues, staying intune with today's technology then sweat 8hrs a day crawling under desks, looking up in ceilings tracing lines, etc.

Honestly, if you alraedy have that field experience, I would say maybe move more towards VoIP or something along those lines.

If you aren't in IT now, don't try. Like others said the market is flooded. I applied for a position that I met/exceeded every single requirement except having SCOM experience (it's a management tool for MS tools) and they rejected my application. With so many unemployed, companies can wait to find their perfect applicant.

currently in telecommuications. install phone systems and network switches for a living. after 10yrs, its become monotomous and uninteresting. i need a change. you're telling me to stay in my field and be unhappy? i'd rather help others with computer related issues, staying intune with today's technology then sweat 8hrs a day crawling under desks, looking up in ceilings tracing lines, etc.

How much are you making now?

lol A+

I guess you should get it if you're looking to work for best buy at $10/hour.

If you need a grant/scholarship to get a CompTIA certification, you are probably so shit poor that you don't know what computers are.

The tests were $100 each 10 years ago, and the certs are just as pointless/useless now as they were then. (tons of ppl who have them don't know shit, tons of ppl without them know everything)

Go with fafsa, especially if you're over 24 or married (or military or have kids), cuz you can get lots of free aid that way (based on your paycheck). Look for a program in IT/system administration/programming/etc.

Plan on it taking at least 1 year to do applications and paperwork before you actually get to classes -- schools run out of September financial aid money back in February, so apply before then. If you plan on changing careers you might just take a couple years off, even if you have kids. I quit working at Safeway after 9 years cuz I was able to get the full ride from a combination of Stafford loans, Pell grants, state and federal need grants and work study.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Last edited:

You would be better served to take some linux classes especially if you are currently working on Avaya PBX's. Otherwise stay in telecom and move more towards Voip or applications. Once there you would be better suited to move towards IT.

As an A+ Certified Technician, my recommendation is to save your money and don't bother with A+. Its even more useless now than it was 7 years ago when I got mine

Back