EA...Project Ten Dollar

I agree with the move. Developers see 0 dollars from used game sales. This is a way to recoup the cost.

Do car companies see any money from used car sales? Why the hell should game companies make money for used game sales?

If this doesn't encourage pirating I don't know what would.

Do car companies see any money from used car sales? Why the hell should game companies make money for used game sales?

used cars are usually traded in at dealerships towards the purchase of a new car (helps car company) or towards the purchase of another used car (helps dealership which in turn can stay in business and sell more new cars). so, yes the car companies see benefits from used car sales and trade ins.

used cars are usually traded in at dealerships towards the purchase of a new car (helps car company) or towards the purchase of another used car (helps dealership which in turn can stay in business and sell more new cars). so, yes the car companies see benefits from used car sales and trade ins.

used games are usually traded in at gamestores towards the purchase of a new games (helps game company) or towards the purchase of another used game (helps game stores which in turn can stay in business and sell more new games). so, yes the game companies see benefits from used game sales and trade ins.

served.jpg

Do car companies see any money from used car sales? Why the hell should game companies make money for used game sales
That analogy is flawed because car companies don't maintain the roads or tell you when or where you can drive. It might work if General Motors had their own highway system whose upkeep was paid for solely based on the income received from new car buyers.

I understand their "logic" behind it, but their conclusions are equally flawed. Their obligation to their customers is to provide online services for the multiplayer portion of their games. If ownership is transferred that obligation doesn't disappear.

This might be the most retarded argument against EA yet...

- Cars arent flipped 10 times in the first 5 months of their life
- Car dealerships have a used car lot, that they turn a profit on their second hand merchandise
- Dealers charge a 'handling fee' for storage, prep and movement of their product

You clearly failed high school economics...

For the short minded morons bashing EA, put yourself in their shoes...

You create a groundbreaking piece of anti-virus software. It is considered the best in its field. Your clients installs it, wipes all the bugs from their system, and dont have a use for it anymore. So they sell your software to a broker for half of what they paid for it.

That broker takes your AV software and turns a 100% profit, and dosent send you a dime.

Wait... theres a CD key associated with AV software!?! Tough shit. That middle man just flipped (pirated?!?) your software for a profit. Your company is out $60 because someone is peddling YOUR hard work for a discounted price.

And guess what... They flip your software over, and over and over.....

Props to EA for saying fuck you to gamers trying to save $5.

Last edited:

You create a groundbreaking piece of anti-virus software. It is considered the best in its field. Your clients installs it, wipes all the bugs from their system, and dont have a use for it anymore. So they sell your software to a broker for half of what they paid for it.

That broker takes your AV software and turns a 100% profit, and dosent send you a dime.

Wait... theres a CD key associated with AV software!?! Tough shit. That middle man just flipped (pirated?!?) your software for a profit. Your company is out $60 because someone is peddling YOUR hard work for a discounted price.

Phaytal are you employed in the gaming industry at all?

In your example you bring up pirating which does not have any place in this discussion. We are talking about a game being purchased with full access to content and then the same game not being able to have access to full content.

Their are two legitimate sides to this argument. On one side people believe full access belongs with the disc. Others believe it belongs with the original purchaser.

The ten dollar project is reality and all game companies will get in line when they see how successful it is for EA.

Phaytal are you employed in the gaming industry at all?

In your example you bring up pirating which does not have any place in this discussion. We are talking about a game being purchased with full access to content and then the same game not being able to have access to full content.

Their are two legitimate sides to this argument. On one side people believe full access belongs with the disc. Others believe it belongs with the original purchaser.

The ten dollar project is reality and all game companies will get in line when they see how successful it is for EA.

I am not employed within the gaming industry, but I do have friends in the industry. Some are top level producers; some are lonely tools programers.

And I agree with you that other publishers will follow suit.

What the fuck does EA, Activision, Take Two ect, care if they piss off the 'used game buyers'. Zero. If only one out of ten of those 'used game buyers' says fuck it and buys new.... the publisher wins.

As a programmer outside of the game industry, I support Devs getting paid for their hard work.

Not to nitpick but the card gets you 10% off of used games.
I'm none of those Kerosene, or don't consider myself to be. The stores closest to my house are Wal Mart, Target and....wait for it...Gamestop! There are no Best Buys near me. The closest is 45mins-1hour, depending on I95 traffic and then I'm taking my life into my own hands. I do buy stuff online when I can find it cheaper but alot of times the game is not cheaper than I can buy used after shipping. And then of course are the impulse buys where I see a good price and snag it. You have to admit, sometimes the used price IS the best price. If you think saving money is a terrible thing, then you are either trolling or a douchebag who has too much money to care about the costs. Regardless how much money is being saved, you're saving money...right?

I honestly don't mind the idea of locking out certain extra content if you buy used, but to disable the multiplayer is still just an asshole move.

Sorry, but I'm not the one throwing money away. The people who have to have the newest games and pay $60 for them and play for a week then flip them to Gamestop for 1/2 price who in turn put them back on the shelf for $55 is the problem.

Come on, you know a million tools will be buying the NCAA football game only to play it for a month then trade it in towards Madden. Gamestop makes a killing while EA gets screwed. No wonder their football games have been a pile of crap this generation.

I just did a search on eBay for Fifa 10 on 360 and am seeing prices $40+. Maybe I'm missing something, but I bought the game NEW ONLINE for $30 + shipping last Xmas. I'm not an ebay expert, maybe there are better deals if you know where to look (there probably are). Given the prices I see at a glance I still don't see much savings.

I am not employed within the gaming industry, but I do have friends in the industry. Some are top level producers; some are lonely tools programers.

And I agree with you that other publishers will follow suit.

What the fuck does EA, Activision, Take Two ect, care if they piss off the 'used game buyers'. Zero. If only one out of ten of those 'used game buyers' says fuck it and buys new.... the publisher wins.

As a programmer outside of the game industry, I support Devs getting paid for their hard work.

EA won't be pissing off any gmaers. Do you think Gamestop will flip a game for $55 when the purchaser will need to spend $10 for online content? Of course they won't. They will need to drop the price of the used game by $10 otherwise their customers will just buy new (which has less of a profit margin).

EA won't be pissing off any gmaers. Do you think Gamestop will flip a game for $55 when the purchaser will need to spend $10 for online content? Of course they won't. They will need to drop the price of the used game by $10 otherwise their customers will just buy new (which has less of a profit margin).

Is this a troll? I cant tell...

Do you honestly think the majority of console users are privy to the $10 EA campaign?

And... EA is hoping that this program deters people from buying used and encourages them to buy new.

Has to be a troll...

Is this a troll? I cant tell...

Do you honestly think the majority of console users are privy to the $10 EA campaign?

And... EA is hoping that this program deters people from buying used and encourages them to buy new.

Has to be a troll...

No troll. I believe most gamers will know about the campaign when it comes time to purchase an affected title. If not I would be surprised if gamestop didn't sell the $10 online content fee card at their store which of course would be pushed by the gamestop employee.

EA will need to allow stores to sell an online access card for those that do not have credit cards.

i liked l4d so i bought l4d2 new. i'll buy bioshock2 new. i'll buy mass effect 2 new.
well, when they're $40, anyway

i think new games cost too much, so i buy them after 6 months when they're cheaper. i think 90% of games are shit, so i buy used from the $20 bin but i will give the publisher their due if i like a game and a sequel comes out

i wouldn't pay $10 to unlock a primary feature of a game because i am a cheap fuck

I enjoy waiting for sports games to become a year or two old so I can pick it up for a tenth of what it was new. I don't follow sports enough to care about who is playing for each team but I do enjoy the games. I have no desire to play those games online because there won't be anyone to play and I don't like playing against 12 yr old racists who think it is cool to say fuck every other word and smack talk while using exploits over and over.

i liked l4d so i bought l4d2 new. i'll buy bioshock2 new. i'll buy mass effect 2 new.
well, when they're $40, anyway

i think new games cost too much, so i buy them after 6 months when they're cheaper. i think 90% of games are shit, so i buy used from the $20 bin but i will give the publisher their due if i like a game and a sequel comes out

i wouldn't pay $10 to unlock a primary feature of a game because i am a cheap fuck

That's perfectly reasonable. I bet you find many of those deals on new games. That's the point I try to make is that almost every game hits $40 a few months after release and cheaper after that. Adding $10 to the price of a used game isn't going to bring any of this to a grinding halt.

your dumbass logic could apply to any used thing that is sold. you must be trolling

OMG you bought that TV used? But Vizio didn't get any money for their hard work and manufacture!

no shit, retard. They got their money when it was sold the first time, just like everything else.

Is a new sale lost because someone is buying it used? Yeah, sometimes. It's called "the market"

except GameStop can just offer less to customers wanting to trade in a title that requires activation and thereby maintain their profit margin. The only people that are going to get screwed are the tards that sell their games a week after it came out and the customers buying used games.

except GameStop can just offer less to customers wanting to trade in a title that requires activation and thereby maintain their profit margin. The only people that are going to get screwed are the tards that sell their games a week after it came out and the customers buying used games.

Agreed. From what it sounds like they weren't paying much anyway so if they offer even less Gamestop and not EA will draw the ire of those that sell their game to Gamestop. After all if Gamestop is indeed perceived as marking up a used title by 100% then the gamers will see plenty of opportunity for GS to take a little cut on their profit and be pissed at GS.

Back