E8400 ignores BIOS/CMOS manual clock settings

So, I built a new computer recently (as evidenced by the topic a little further down the page that I figured might be inappropriate for this and too old) with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and an E8400 (rest of specs at bottom). The build went mostly fine, except I had this issue where when I turned the computer off it would not post when next I hit the power switch. With some experimentation I found that if I turned off and on the power supply it would boot again, but, obviously, such was hardly convenient.

With some research I gathered that there have been BIOS problems with my motherboard and the e8400, so I attempted to reflash the BIOS (from version F6 to F8a) with Gigabyte's through-Windows utility which seemed to work OK. However, now that my booting problem was solved, I would enter values for the CPU settings, etc, trying to clock the thing around maybe 3.5GHz (which my computer did before the reflash), but when I restarted afterward, it said that the RAM was running at 800MHz, which was lower than what I specified. In Windows, then, I checked the CPU's clock with Orthos and CPU-Z, and it said a neat and default 3.00GHz.

I was perhaps slightly disturbed to say the least, so I spent the next however long messing with the BIOS more, but nothing worked. In fact, I don't know what setting I tripped, but the memory became clocked at 667MHz rather than 800MHz arbitrarily, and more fiddling was of no use.

After a time, I decided that maybe it was that I used a through-Windows utility to flash the thing, which appears on the internet to not be recommended. I then reflashed the BIOS with f8a, which ended up not helping either, and F6, wondering if my previously OC friendly version would still work, through the "Q-Flash" on my motherboard or whatever. The F6 version still had the same problem of ignoring my settings along with the booting issues, and at this point I just figured I'd redo F8a again, but the Q-Flash ceased detecting my thumb-drive which I installed from. With this I used the Windows-based utility again, which didn't fail, again, as far as I can tell, and the computer still sits at the default everything (though the memory is back at 800MHz, at least).

I have spent quite a bit of time searching on google and the like, and I couldn't find anything (I couldn't even find anything on my initial boot problems with BIOS F6; I had just heard of people having compatibility issues with the E8400 and my motherboard). I'm getting a little peevish, etc. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Core 2 Duo E8400
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Radeon HD3850 256MB
Fortron 450W power supply
2GB (among 2 sticks) Mushkin RAM

(Any more specifications will be gladly divulged).

Edit: Last night I attempted to reset the CMOS with a screwdriver and nothing.

Is it possible that I damaged something when updating the BIOS the first time? You think Newegg will buy this for an RMA? (I used Gigabyte's utility, etc.).

Last edited:
Gigabyte P965-XXX overclocking and BIOS tweaking Guide - [H]ard|Forum

#
STOP

A lot of people are having perceived issues with (mainly DS3's) and what is called the cold boot issue.

This issue seems to consist of 2 issues as far as I can tell.

Failure to boot, clear cmos does not work, board is boat anchor.

Bios settings not retained on reboot.
(Several users have found that legacy USB devices are the cause of this issue. Try removing all un-needed USB devices and see if the issue goes away).

Actually the second problem is the classic "cold boot" as first reported.

I recommend you read this.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/..._explained.htm

I highly recommend you install the Xpress Recovery2 untility with a small partition size. It appears the bios recovery utility is part of the Xpress Recovery progam and if the hidden partition exists, when flashing the bios a backup copy of the bios is put in the hidden partition. This might help avoid the issue of the board becoming unbootable. It is not clear if you are required to actually back up your HD data or not, I think not. However I cannot test this due to my hardware configuration. Note that the Xprerss Recovery will not work if your primary (boot) disk is a RAID. Here is some background.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....post1031176834

# Guess what Woody ? Peck away again at <Del> and get the main BIOS screen but now we will have some fun.

Thats odd, i have a ASUS Striker Extreme 680i, i had to flash bios to get my E8400 to work well. havt had any issues since.

Gigabyte P965-XXX overclocking and BIOS tweaking Guide - [H]ard|Forum

#
STOP

A lot of people are having perceived issues with (mainly DS3's) and what is called the cold boot issue.

This issue seems to consist of 2 issues as far as I can tell.

Failure to boot, clear cmos does not work, board is boat anchor.

Bios settings not retained on reboot.
(Several users have found that legacy USB devices are the cause of this issue. Try removing all un-needed USB devices and see if the issue goes away).

Actually the second problem is the classic "cold boot" as first reported.

I recommend you read this.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/..._explained.htm

I highly recommend you install the Xpress Recovery2 untility with a small partition size. It appears the bios recovery utility is part of the Xpress Recovery progam and if the hidden partition exists, when flashing the bios a backup copy of the bios is put in the hidden partition. This might help avoid the issue of the board becoming unbootable. It is not clear if you are required to actually back up your HD data or not, I think not. However I cannot test this due to my hardware configuration. Note that the Xprerss Recovery will not work if your primary (boot) disk is a RAID. Here is some background.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....post1031176834

# Guess what Woody ? Peck away again at <Del> and get the main BIOS screen but now we will have some fun.

Well, I turned off the Legacy USB whatever setting and I don't have any USB hard drives anyway, but that hasn't fixed it. I get a feeling that my BIOS is slightly corrupted or somesuch, but reflashing didn't fix it before. Fucking [insert unintelligibility].

I really, really, love you for your attempt and the insight gleaned from it, though.

Well, I turned off the Legacy USB whatever setting and I don't have any USB hard drives anyway, but that hasn't fixed it. I get a feeling that my BIOS is slightly corrupted or somesuch, but reflashing didn't fix it before. Fucking [insert unintelligibility].

I really, really, love you for your attempt and the insight gleaned from it, though.

ahh bummer, well if all else fails then RMA :p

My guess would be PSU issues. if you have another psu to try, id give that a shot. I remember reading about someone who had mobo issues similar to yours...and just found the thread

Which Mobo for E8400 Out of the Box - Page 4 - [H]ard|Forum

note this guy had a DS3R...same thing though, essentially.

Which Mobo for E8400 Out of the Box - [H]ard|Forum read through the entire thread, may give you some other things to T/S

do the settings in the BIOS actually show the same numbers you punched in originally? because you say that the settings don't stick, but you don't really describe in what way they don't stick. are they not sticking as in the BIOS says it's one thing, but then you get into windows and cpu-z says your BIOS is wrong?

or are you punching in the numbers in the BIOS, rebooting, and then if you go into the BIOS again, the settings have been wiped?

when you had a problem with the system not POSTing when you hit the power switch, are you saying that you got nothing at all? or the fans spun up but you would just get a blank screen with no beeps?

do the settings in the BIOS actually show the same numbers you punched in originally? because you say that the settings don't stick, but you don't really describe in what way they don't stick. are they not sticking as in the BIOS says it's one thing, but then you get into windows and cpu-z says your BIOS is wrong?

or are you punching in the numbers in the BIOS, rebooting, and then if you go into the BIOS again, the settings have been wiped?

when you had a problem with the system not POSTing when you hit the power switch, are you saying that you got nothing at all? or the fans spun up but you would just get a blank screen with no beeps?

The settings save fine in the CMOS, no change, but when I boot the memory is listed at 800Mhz whilst the machine posts and CPU-Z tells the same story. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Edit: With the initial problem, I got no beeps or anything, just spinning fans and no signal on the monitor (turned off for inactivity, etc.).

Last edited:
Back