dvi better?

cAn

Veteran X
Im putting in a purchase for some new computer stuffs, and was wondering if dvi makes a difference over the regular dsub connection? Im using a 20" sceptre LCD

ive been told that unless you are looking at dvi and vga right next to each other, you wouldnt be able to tell a difference, and even then its barely noticeable

for some reason my computer boots faster

in the startup it doesnt talk about the video adapter, shaves off 3 seconds

no idea why.

Surprisingly, no OMG I can SO see more that 60FPS!!!$^@#! posts

On an analog monitor the flicker is extremely pronounced, yet on an LCD it’s not there. I guess it has more to do with the difference between digital and analog.

If you might use it for anything other than computer I would get DVI over VGA.
I went a nudge higher and got both with a bunch of other inputs as well.
Point being DVI is easier to work with other "HD" things.

in order to be compliant with DRM while watching HD movies through the likes of vista you'll need HDCP, when they activate the extreme protection on movies anyway.

Surprisingly, no OMG I can SO see more that 60FPS!!!$^@#! posts
Maybe you missed my :lol:. That was my "I can SO see more than 60FPS" post.

How many frames per second can the human eye see? gives a good explanation and also clarifies the question a bit.

www.crimetank.com/misc/framerate.zip
www.crimetank.com/misc/fpscmp02.zip

I don't think the above 2 programs will do too much due to LCDs being limited to a 60Hz refresh and thus if Vsync is enabled, the FPS will be limited to 60 FPS. But back when I had my CRT monitor at a refresh of 120Hz, I was able to distinguish the difference beteween 75 and 100 FPS.

Last edited:
i went ahead and got the cable. I doubt it will do anything but we'll see. I also upgraded my lil 3000+ 939 to a x2 3800+

Maybe you missed my :lol:. That was my "I can SO see more than 60FPS" post.

How many frames per second can the human eye see? gives a good explanation and also clarifies the question a bit.

www.crimetank.com/misc/framerate.zip
www.crimetank.com/misc/fpscmp02.zip

I don't think the above 2 programs will do too much due to LCDs being limited to a 60Hz refresh and thus if Vsync is enabled, the FPS will be limited to 60 FPS. But back when I had my CRT monitor at a refresh of 120Hz, I was able to distinguish the difference beteween 75 and 100 FPS.

Depending on the resolution I would set my old analog monitor to I could distinguish the difference up to about 85hz, 60hz was headache inducing flicker. But isn’t that mostly inherent to the way analog monitors work, interleaved frames of odd and even scanlines rasterized by a cathode ray?

Like you say, LCD works differently it’s more dependent on the latency of the pixel response time, on the first gen LCD’s I couldn’t stand the ghosting effect, I have no idea how people put up with it. 8ms is fast enough for me to not detect it.

The reason we can deal with 60hz on LCD panels is because there is no such thing as a "refresh rate" on an LCD. There is no scanline moving back and forth.

The actual refresh rate is called a response time and some panels (like my samsung 206bw) have a 2ms response time.

Back