Does anyone here use Google Voice?

I have played with it because I was a GrandCentral user that was converted over. Its in closed beta to GrandCentral users only.. sorry no invites.

I find it very useful. I have it forward to my Gizmo5 account and make free VOIP calls from my PC or iPhone w/ Fring.

Thanks for this thread. I didn't even know about it.

Just upgraded my Grand Central account. :D

Have it. Never used it seriously cause I don't have the need to yet. One number is enough for me- I'm a college student.

I hate almost everyone in this thread! I wish I had it while I was working-would have actually come in extremely handy...

It's strange. I definitely feel like I was sent one or two invites for GrandCentral in one of those threads back in the day, but I can't find them at all.

So what can it do for me that Skype doesn't? Been using Skype for an office phone for a while, works pretty damn well and will forward to my cell if I don't pick up on the PC.

I use it just for voicemail; awesome having it transcribe it and text it to me (I hate listening to voicemails).

I gave out 10 GC invites back in the day to TribalWar members. I don't think anyone has any invites now, and probably won't until they open beta.
So what can it do for me that Skype doesn't? Been using Skype for an office phone for a while, works pretty damn well and will forward to my cell if I don't pick up on the PC.
Google Voice gives you a free phone number in your choice of area code. You can configure that number via web interface to forward to any other number. It includes voicemail and SMS capability.

In addition to forwarding to another number, you can forward to a Gizmo account. You can use a VOIP program like X-Lite (or Gizmo's own client) to connect to their SIP server to receive incoming calls on your PC.

You can also add people and numbers to your Google contacts and call them via a web interface. You press a "Call" button and Google asks you for the number you're currently at, then it calls your number and when you answer it calls the number of the person you're trying to reach. Basically it's free long distance to any number in the US or Canada.

The caveats are that some of Google's own features might interfere with DTMF prompts, such as the ones used for customer service menus, PIN codes, etc.

Alternatives:
  • FreeDigits free phone number + SIP access
  • Brring! advertiser supported number gives you commission on calls received
  • inumbr temporary phone number (for Craigslist listing, etc.)
  • dukaDIAL does the same thing as the Google Voice call feature
  • iCall free outbound to US/Canada, free incoming to one of their designated numbers (not a personal one)
  • ViaTalk free 10 minute outbound calls

Back