Does anyone have an interest in an online art class?

retribution

Veteran X
So I'm looking to teach an online art class and I'd like to see if there's any interest on TW. I'm by no means a great artist, but I know enough to be comfortable teaching the basics. I was thinking of running an online course that would go over the fundamentals of art for illustration, probably around ten weeks, with weekly assignments, demonstrations, and critiques. Stuff that will push anyone to become a better artist. Free of course and open to anyone/all skill levels.

Most of my own work is a mixture of traditional and digital tools; I usually do my sketching and ideation on paper and create final art digitally with a tablet & photoshop/painter. The fundamentals don't change from one medium to another, but for an online class digital tools would be preferable. If you want to work digitally but don't have any supplies, you can get a tablet secondhand pretty cheaply or get one of the new-ish wacom bamboo line tablets for around 60 bucks. As for software, ArtRage used to be free and is now cheap (I think they have a version out for 20 bucks). Not bad compared to the cost of learning to paint with oils.

So if you're interested or want to know more or have suggestions please lemme know. Here are a couple of recent paintings so you've an idea of what I do:

airship3500w.jpg

ravenpool.jpg

pirates600w.jpg

I'd be up for it.
I always liked the way you do your environments and I could stand to learn new stuff.

Ok I'm game. I'm ace with 3d stuff, but I'm always looking to improve my drawn skills.

I might be a tad on the busy side because I'm just finishing up a 3d project that I've been working on for the last while. I might be able to do an hour or two of drawn stuff every few days.

I was actually talking with a friend an hour ago about how I wanted to do something like this, but I definitely don't have enough time. :/

Lineage: free

The time commitment is a bit flexible.. I would guess it would be worthwhile at a few hours a week; to really polish a painting takes a fair amount of time though. Maybe 10 hours per piece.

Anyone have suggestions on software for video tutorials? I'd like to be able to record my screen as I paint and then condense/edit it/record audio over it as well as be able to stream it live. I have the editing side covered but don't know how to record.

I think its an awesome idea, especially if it's free. I have no artistic skill and no time, but I would do it in a heartbeat if I did :]

I bet it would look good on your resume as well!

Back