Do all signs point to a bad video card?

DeaconBlues

Veteran X
Here's what started it:

Was playing TF2 yesterday and whole computer froze. Hard lockup, no alt-tabbing or ctrl-alt-del would get out of it. Restarted my machine, tried a different 3D game, after a minute or two the same lockup happened. Desktop and 2D games were fine at this point.

I took a look in the case, the dust wasn't too bad, but I cleaned it out. Then I removed the video card (8800 GTS) and noticed the fan had a significant amount of dust, but not to the point that the fan couldn't spin. There was also dust in the vents on the heat sink. I cleaned all that out.

As it stands now the display is fine right through the WinXP loading screen. The moment the desktop starts to load I get blue dots or streaks through my display and eventually the system locks.

In safe mode the system is fine. While in safe mode I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers and when I restarted in normal mode with a really low resolution the system was fine. I then tried installing the latest video drivers and during the install when the system is recognizing the hardware and changing resolution the same symptoms came back (blue streaks and eventual lockup).

My questions:

Is it possible that my video card got fried to the point that it works fine at low resolution but is no good when set higher?

Do you think this could still be a software issue, or based on what I described is it hardware?

Is there a way to test this without buying a new video card?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Cliffs:
- 3D games locked up my display, but 2D was okay
- dust on video card fan and vents
- now even 2D video at high resolution locks up system
- safe mode at low res the system is fine

How old is your PC??
How old is your Vid Card??
How good is your PC's cooling solution?? Do you have warm and/or hot air coming out of exhaust fans??
Does your Vid Card have a fan and heatsink?? Does fan appear to be run well and fast?? Model please..
Do you have automatic OS updates on??

Test #1: take side panel off and put a fan on desk blowing right on Vid Card and start ===> what??
Test #2: (write down your latest Vid Driver that worked well)Any real recent history of installed drivers or updates of OS?? Turn off PC, unplug, hold in start button for 3 seconds to discharge, now take out Vid Card and then reset; then plug in and start ==>??
Test #3: from safemode, check control panel and see when last OS patch/update was installed

Last edited:
It's a bad video card.

I'm dumb and forgot about a 2nd machine I have in my house with a compatible video card. Made the swap and running fine for now and perhaps ever.

the 8800 series all from what i have seen have horrible stock fans.
I couldnt even play games on them without it overheating.

I have great air movement in my case and heat can still be a problem with my 8800 GT. I have it basically set on 100% cycle all the time, but it's necessary sigh :/

Already been through 1 of them

It's a bad video card.

I'm dumb and forgot about a 2nd machine I have in my house with a compatible video card. Made the swap and running fine for now and perhaps ever.
Thanks for the feedback and info so we can learn and know too, its appreciated.. BTW, I have an Asus 8800GTS 640mb Vid Card on Asus mobo for more than a year(admittedly a very good cooling solution) and I have had no probs at all with high-end settings ==> I do run a Thermaltake 750W PSU... Glad you have a solution; guess my question or thought would be at this juncture is if the Vid Card went bad or it wasn't supported well??

Its the 512meg ones that are bad i believe. But they are also the best ones too i believe.

Basically CED, look up how many people had troubles with your brand. Because thats where it count.
I know with 100% fan on mine, it still would overheat.

Its the 512meg ones that are bad i believe. But they are also the best ones too i believe.

Basically CED, look up how many people had troubles with your brand. Because thats where it count.
I know with 100% fan on mine, it still would overheat.
Its the 8800GT 512mb that are rated well from what I have read and seen...

Back