[diy] loose blade on disposal

I don't fuck with 220 power, oil, or gas. Everything else I will try. My last house was almost 200 years old. I learned to get handy quickly.

gas is about as simple as it gets, a little spray bottle with soapy water is great for finding leaks if that is what scares you (in old days plumbers used to use a lighter on the joints, if tiny blue flame is dancing on it, it is leaking). most common fix when pilot won't stay lit is a $10 thermocouple at home depot which takes a screwdriver and wrench to change. 10 minute job and does not require breaking into the gas line. then you have the thermistors which are also like $10 which are also easy to change. you can even get the whole valve assemblies which are like $50 new and pretty easy to change. If the tank isn't leaking from rot, i fix it.

oil is a little stinkier, but still pretty easy to work on. 220, just be careful, trip the breaker, use voltmeter to make sure you tripped correct breaker, then ground out the leads in case capacitance has built up.

if you fix your own cars, this stuff is much easier in comparison.

gas is about as simple as it gets, a little spray bottle with soapy water is great for finding leaks if that is what scares you (in old days plumbers used to use a lighter on the joints, if tiny blue flame is dancing on it, it is leaking). most common fix when pilot won't stay lit is a $10 thermocouple at home depot which takes a screwdriver and wrench to change. 10 minute job and does not require breaking into the gas line. then you have the thermistors which are also like $10 which are also easy to change. you can even get the whole valve assemblies which are like $50 new and pretty easy to change. If the tank isn't leaking from rot, i fix it.

oil is a little stinkier, but still pretty easy to work on. 220, just be careful, trip the breaker, use voltmeter to make sure you tripped correct breaker, then ground out the leads in case capacitance has built up.

if you fix your own cars, this stuff is much easier in comparison.

Used to do a bit of wrenching on some 90s cars, but don't even really try anymore. They made working on my WRX a pain in the ass. Did put on my own hitch though :bigthumb:

I don't fuck with 220 power, oil, or gas. Everything else I will try. My last house was almost 200 years old. I learned to get handy quickly.

This is a very true statement and unless you have specific training is pretty much the only limitations of home repair. with the only other exception being things where the service comes with a warranty that is worth the extra price like a total roof rebuild or foundation work.

given that mains power here in Aus is all 240V, no working on household wiring for us lot. Not actually allowed to work on that stuff yourself.. you can get some big-ass fines and insurance companies won't pay out if there's any evidence of non-professional work having been done. You can change out light bulbs, but that's honestly about it.. even just moving a light switch or connecting up a new plug on the end of a power cord supposedly has to be done by someone licensed. Plumbing is much the same. You can switch out a washer or shower head, but if you want to install some new taps or shit like that, you have to pay for a plumber.

Which is probably part of the reason that plumbers and sparkies are so fucking expensive. Yeah, there's admittedly some safety issues there but.. I mean, I'm not even supposed to be allowed to swap out a low-voltage downlight myself.

Some of the responses in this thread are embarrassing.

Go to sears/walmart/target, buy a basic toolkit and fix your lives. It is rewarding to know you are a competent and self sufficient human.

Jesus fucking christ, Belial. You're a god damned pussy. Grow a pair and learn how to fix shit.

Being a MAN involves FIXING shit, not buying a new one.

Jesus fucking christ, Belial. You're a god damned pussy. Grow a pair and learn how to fix shit.

Being a MAN involves FIXING shit, not buying a new one.

why do you think i can't fix anything?

that's rhetorical, btw, i know it's because you have poor reading comprehension

Back