diablo 3

very well done tristram

i love that song too, one of my favourites by far has to be spider caverns from d2...about half way in, it kicks into a d1 dungeon tune...fuckin creepy

1:30 is when it starts fading into the next part, around 2:30 is when it kicks in

Matt Uelmen is a musical master. Too bad Blizz didn't keep him around :(

Look up how Matt made songs for Diablo 2. He has some interesting ways of creating shit.

Couple questions that are hard to search:

If a sorc, witchdoctor equips say, an axe, does that axe's damage add to their ranged attacks? As in, the witch doctors blow gun does 6.7 dps of the axe?

Also, does the sorc even have a ranged attack that doesnt cost mana/non spell?

Also, I was thinking monk, but I'm the road less traveled kinda guy, starting to think witch doctor might be my farm-loot-keep-alive-hc champ. Any thoughts? Will he be the rarest, or the monk?

If a sorc, witchdoctor equips say, an axe, does that axe's damage add to their ranged attacks? As in, the witch doctors blow gun does 6.7 dps of the axe?

Also, I was thinking monk, but I'm the road less traveled kinda guy, starting to think witch doctor might be my farm-loot-keep-alive-hc champ. Any thoughts? Will he be the rarest, or the monk?

there is no basic range attack after level 1. weapon dps affects all your spell damage.

all sorc primary spells do not cost mana

wd rarest, there are a shitload of monks.

Weapons are tied to your DPS. I believe all moves are tied to % of weapon damage. I can't remember seeing any on the patch notes that weren't % of weapon damage.

They do have one. Any class can swing/attack with any weapon they can equip. However it will just do base weapon damage and most moves are like 150% weapon damage up to 300% weapon damage. Also the moves Blizzard intends you to spam with cost so little mana your regen easily over comes it and you can spam them forever. Regen is very fast in this Diablo. There are no mana pots.

Monk is pretty much the paladin of this version. He will be very popular. Probably with only the Barbarian being more popular. Witch Doctor is clearly coming in last in the popularity polls on diablofans.com and so forth. He has the most different playstyle from previous games and I think that turns people off.

I've played quite a bit of the beta now if anyone has more questions.
I haven't explored the newest build as much though because the servers have been down so much.

Last edited:
there is no basic range attack after level 1. weapon dps affects all your spell damage.

all sorc primary spells do not cost mana

wd rarest, there are a shitload of monks.

They actually cost 0? I hadn't noticed that it was actually 0. I thought it was just like the WD.

Sorc is the class I have played the least though.

The cold ray beam is pretty freakin sweet.

So, the WD casts toads, or zombie dogs, or some other random-you'd never think an axe could add damage to it-spell and the axe adds some percentage to it?

Or, are you referring to skills such as hundred fists of hte monk, or smash that enemy, from the barb? Something that more logically bases damage off of your weapon damage.

OR, does the witch doctor and sorc have a skill (I see blow dart is selectable) that is their goto ranged attack skill/spell that is based off of weapon damage and entirely meant to be spammed?

:EDIT: googled it, seems the latter is the way it works.

Last edited:
I guess my question was: is the default attack animation of the DH, WD, and WZ a ranged attack costing 0.

DH: yes, she shoots arrows

WD: no, he's melee, but his dart is cheap as shit.

WZ: theres one for each 'tree', and eventually theyre free to cast (if not already)

They're all based off of weapon damage, whether that weapon be an axe, wand, or toothpick.

I guess my question was: is the default attack animation of the DH, WD, and WZ a ranged attack costing 0.

DH: yes, she shoots arrows

WD: no, he's melee, but his dart is cheap as shit.

WZ: theres one for each 'tree', and eventually theyre free to cast (if not already)

They're all based off of weapon damage, whether that weapon be an axe, wand, or toothpick.

your 'eventually free to cast' information is outdated.

and yes, the sorc primary spells are all free to cast once you get them

there's something therapeutic about throwing urns full of spiders...

It's amazing.
I will be playing a WD primarily/first because of it. However the newest patch really nerfed it and it's too spammy now IMO.
I hope they change it back.

I like more porwerful spiders with less of them out at once. Now it's weak little spiders but I literally throw jars of spiders non-stop, never overcoming my natural mana regen.

I preferred the style of throw 3 pots of spiders at things and spam something else(like blow gun) as mana regenned.

Here is a good example if some skill weapon damage %'s and how they read in the patch notes.

Witch Doctor

◦General

■Mana costs for all skills have been adjusted
◦Active Skills

■Corpse Spiders

■Weapon damage decreased from 24% to 16%
■Firebats

■Weapon damage increased from 100% to 150%
■Haunt

■Weapon damage increased from 360% to 575%
■Poison Dart

■Damage Over Time (DoT) reduced from 50% to 40% weapon damage