Dev Says "Enemy Territory: Tribal War" Mod. 'Easy to Create'

FireStarter

Veteran XX
Splash Damage programmer who implemented the ski code for "Enemy Territory: Quake Wars" speaks of the ease of creating a Tribes Mod for the game and shares his willingness to spearhead the effort.

"Most of the groundwork is all there - easily moddable weapons, character classes, vehicles, support for massive terrains, etc. With the kickstart of the physics then I'm convinced that a dedicated team could whip out a prototype Tribes mod in a pretty short timespan."

there seems to be a couple of different groups wanting to spearhead it, is there one that is formed from around here?

Or is it all talk?

I wont lie, it's all talk right now, just like those other mods that we hear about every 2 months but never see anything happening from them. However, this seems more relevant now as the release date is just around the corner (hopefully).

Last edited:
there seems to be a couple of different groups wanting to spearhead it, is there one that is formed from around here?

Or is it all talk?
I'm backing the SD developer that said he's going to make one. Fuck trying to get anything worth playing out of TW people.

I'm backing the SD developer that said he's going to make one. Fuck trying to get anything worth playing out of TW people.
I understand the bloke is going to get it off the ground by giving the community the code, it just seems like the only community group that really is organised for it is a T2 group (which isn't bad, but not as fast as T1).

Ah well, will just have to see :)

I understand the bloke is going to get it off the ground by giving the community the code, it just seems like the only community group that really is organised for it is a T2 group (which isn't bad, but not as fast as T1).

Ah well, will just have to see :)

Hey

T1 had it's chance at a sequel.

We all payed for it.

Hopefully this dev can rally support and even give this thing enough momentum to see it through to a playable state.

I'd only contribute to this project if one of the devs, close friend of the devs, or someone like Trajan were leading this project. I'm not at all interested if some Tribes junkie from the community wants to put together a band of merry men and let everyone 'contribute'.

Hey, T2 is slower than the gameplay of T1, wasn't condeming it...but speed is a good thing.

Eh just market the mod as a 'sport' gametype (to offset the serious quakewars gamestyle) and you'll probably be laughing.

Hey, T2 is slower than the gameplay of T1, wasn't condeming it...but speed is a good thing.

Eh just market the mod as a 'sport' gametype (to offset the serious quakewars gamestyle) and you'll probably be laughing.

T2 Classic was just as fast if not faster than T1, kthxbye.

Somone should get the zod's involved :)

This article was tagged "sex" and there's none of it going on.

PS: Judging from the years of development poured into the projects thusfar, I highly doubt anyone has the Sexual stamina nor the project stamina to complete a Tribes mod.

I'd only contribute to this project if one of the devs, close friend of the devs, or someone like Trajan were leading this project. I'm not at all interested if some Tribes junkie from the community wants to put together a band of merry men and let everyone 'contribute'.
I don't think Tribes folk want Trajan leading this.

"You guys cannot put down Tribes... it was one of the greatest games ever made.

I even liked Vengeance... the grappling hook with jetpacks made for some awesome gameplay. Plus you had a 'Captain America' shield that I just loved. The problem was that new people just couldn't hack it in the game against veterans (making them give up on it), they (devs) left their roots of tiled terrain that went on forever and ended up in the UT engine, and WoW came out in full not long after it (which pulled me away).

In the early days, the transport vehicles were used heavily, and it was common to see the Heavys walking across the map. Then came skiing which I still think wasn't an 'accident' due to many reasons including one of the bots names was 'SkitoDie'.

Basically it's like ET's momemtum gathering as you jump down an incline and gain speed, but you could drop from a mile out of the air onto an incline and smoothly get into a 'ski'. Add to that a jetpack so as you go up the next hill after skiing down an incline you get into a roller-coaster type movment. What this ended up doing was allowing people to quickly move across a map. Flag cappers could cross a mile in 5 seconds moving like 200 mile per hour. The gameplay was extremely fast and furious.

However, Quake Wars will not be like Tribes in that aspect. I haven't seen a jetpack Strogg fire a weapon while jetting, and the skiing seems more akin to ET than Tribes which is a HUGE difference. There are alot of similarities though, including deployables (radar, turrets) and changing class in the field.

And about the OP; TribalWar is the original Tribes fan site. A long time rock in the community operated by some of the veterans of the game. And in the highly competitive Tribes you will find many more 'leet' people than any other online game I've ever seen. It comes from simple skill of owning not only on the ground in a shooter, but in the air also. No player in any other shooter is equal to a Tribes player, and they are aware and proud of that. A Tribes player can do well in ET, but an ET player will get totally owned in Tribes for a long time.

I'll map for a Tribes mod, having aquired a distinct hate for programming after my last job doing it for a medical software company Razz"

damn, this guy summed it up pretty fucking well.

I would be interested but I can't get involved with a QW mod, my rig couldn't handle the game and I can't afford to upgrade so :shrug:

As I reflect on the open discussion of making ET into T4 by DEV members and the community I get this picture in my brain of some penny pincher sitting up in his ivory town going;

Oh no they don't!.... Oh no they fucking won't! Not if I have something to say... not if I can make them pay!

Back