Deus Ex: Invisible War wasn't entirely bad, I think

Seraph

Veteran XV
I just played it completely though for the first time and for some reason I can't call it a bad game. I mean, they made a lot of mistakes making this game but the story and overall plot really wasn't that bad. The weapons and gunfights completely sucked, they completely fucked up the stealth system, their ammo system actually hindered the game, the maps were too small leading to constant entering/exiting areas with long load times, and the physics engine was horrible but I still can't call it a terrible game. I mean, it had character. It had atmosphere.

I just finished playing Deus Ex when I picked up DX2 and even though they're completely different games. Even though I probably will never reinstall the game for another play though like I do with Deus Ex, I still can't call it a bad game. Is it because when I first started playing I forced myself to keep playing even though it was frustratingly different from the original?

What says Tw?

I don't know. I'm in a state of limbo. There were just so many things I hated about this game but I still can't say it was a horrible game.

I'm confused.

Everything wrong with the game has one source: it was made for consoles. On the PC, it comes across as a half-assed attempt that feels years old as soon as it's released. They could have done so much better if they had built it from the ground up for PCs. I managed to enjoy the game by calling it simply "Invisible War" and forgetting that it was attempting to be a sequel to one of the best games ever made.

Everything wrong with the game has one source: it was made for consoles. On the PC, it comes across as a half-assed attempt that feels years old as soon as it's released. They could have done so much better if they had built it from the ground up for PCs. I managed to enjoy the game by calling it simply "Invisible War" and forgetting that it was attempting to be a sequel to one of the best games ever made.

I don't think everything that was wrong with this game was because it was made for consoles. The shitty inventory system? Yeah, sure. The terrible voice acting? I couldn't play though the game as the male main character. His voice just really annoyed me. I had to restart as the woman. The terrible physics engine where bumping into objects would send them flying across the room? Also the ammo system was terrible. One ammo for all the weapons? Bleh.

I played it through once. My main stay-factor was that it was my first game with real-time shadows and a lot of graphical thingies, and I just bought a new vid card at the time (Radeon 9600XT WOOOO).

If it didn't pretend to be a Deus Ex sequel, it would probably be about 5/10. Not really enjoyable, but not too bad either.

duex-ex-mention.jpg

I remember thinking that the architecture was nice looking. And that the story choices lost interest very early on in the game, so that I started playing with movable objects to see if I could build stacks that would disrupt the patrol bot routes.

I eventually played it all the way through, but can't recommend it.

I agree with the OP

I always enjoyed DX2. The truth is, 80% of the guys who say bad things about played the broken demo and never came back for retail.

Most of my problems with DX2 was the art direction. I think it had much more interesting characters, and it did a much better job at storytelling.

Going back to Liberty Park, hearing Tong's speech about finding a cause worth dieing for, going though the UNATCO ruins, and deciding the fate of the world at the end of the game was about the most epic thing ever.

Loved Deus ex, like everyone, and gave up on 2 in about an hr. Playing it felt like slamming my balls in a vice, and tightening every 10 mins.... Shitty, shitty interface.

The weapons and gunfights completely sucked, they completely fucked up the stealth system, their ammo system actually hindered the game, the maps were too small leading to constant entering/exiting areas with long load times, and the physics engine was horrible but I still can't call it a terrible game.

The weapons and gunfights completely sucked, they completely fucked up the stealth system, their ammo system actually hindered the game, the maps were too small leading to constant entering/exiting areas with long load times, and the physics engine was horrible but I still can't call it a terrible game. I mean, it had character. It had atmosphere.

So what you're saying is that all the gameplay elements in the game suck balls, and yet the game doesn't suck?
Whoa.

Back