Desktop Monitor vs TV

I need a new monitor, and I was wondering if you guys think it would be better to get a monitor with 2 HDMI ports or just get a smaller TV with an appropriate resolution. I want to hook up my PS3 and my computer to this thing using HDMI cables.

I assume the 27" Samsung tv would be the best bet but hell if I know.

Edit for failing and hitting 2 and not 3...

Last edited:
Never use a TV as a monitor if you plan to play PC games on it.

this, i have soo many fucking issues trying to play games with my TV. I got the shit on the cheap and im not downgrading but damn the TV doesnt fucking support a shitload of older games.

This, in a nutshell.

Split the difference and get a decent sized monitor, and ditch the TV and cable box (provided you use one), and go for a Media Center PC with a TV tuner in it. Not only will it get you out of paying for a monthly fee for DVR service, it'll let you do a whole hell of a lot more for free than what your standard DVR would allow, plus it's a modular option allowing for expansion if you decide you need to record multiple shows at the same time, upgrade your storage space, or move shit around if you decide you want to archive anything.

Plus the Media Center would allow you to run your game systems at your preferred resolution, run your PC games as you see fit (even legacy games), and let you do all that shit at the same time if you so choose.

I've used a 37" HDTV 1080p for a monitor, and played plenty of PC games on it. Never had any issues with incompatibility or drivers.

I must be breaking some sort of law.

Granted you can get faster response monitors and higher refresh rates than 60hz using a dedicated monitor but it's still doable.

I've used a 37" HDTV 1080p for a monitor, and played plenty of PC games on it. Never had any issues with incompatibility or drivers.

I must be breaking some sort of law.

Granted you can get faster response monitors and higher refresh rates than 60hz using a dedicated monitor but it's still doable.

I am also using a TV for a monitor, a Samsung P2770HD and I have zero problems with it. I thought about getting a higher res monitor, but this seems to be perfect for my needs.

afaik Samsung is the best brand for TV's on the market. At least it used to be.

I have a "cheap" 42" FullHD LG though because it was ~40% cheaper than Samsung, haven't had problems with it. Haven't tried hooking my PC to it because I don't like to play at the couch, still using 19" ViewSonic for PC gaming as I'm not a videophile (and I'm poor) :p But at least God of War looked awesome on it when I borrowed my friends PS3.

ugh my Samsung which was like one of the highest recommended @ the time is a fucking POS

faulty capacitors needed replacing (tv wouldn't power on if it was off for a while and would boot loop until it eventually warmed up and booted)

and now there's a dark area where i guess one spot of the backlight is dying

fuck samsung

i use two 42 inch led TVs side by side and have never had any trouble with resolution running any games, old or new.

response time is 120hz and they are both 1080p.

not sure what all the fuss is about.

TV generally have higher response time and input lag, you might not notice it playing casual games and using windows, but if you play anything fast faced like first person shooters you'll notice the delay compared to a monitor.

If you're using it as a monitor then buy a monitor. If you're using it as a TV then buy a TV. If your use will be mixed, lean towards the primary use.

They're similar technologies but they are tailored towards their purpose, some more than others.

Example: TVs are often only able to support standardised resolutions and refresh rates (1080p, 720p, etc); you can and will run into resolutions your TV can't output depending on what software you try to run. Conversely, monitors typically support a much wider range of resolutions.

This isn't the case for all TVs (or monitors) but it's more often the case than not. Same goes for other factors like input lag, viewing angles, image quality when viewed at close distances, etc.

i've been running a 32" LCD TV connected to my pc for 6+ years. a year or two ago i managed to snag an IPS panel panasonic 1080p for like 300. its as nice as its ever been, but im looking to move up to 1440p by the end of the year.

im pretty sure the refresh rate is crap but i've never noticed + i am not a hardcore fps gamer

Back