[DENTAL] Anyone here have, or know someone who has TMJ?

Razer

Contributor
Veteran X
Are painkillers normally prescribed for TMJ? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to catch someone in a lie.

There's this person I know who claims to have TMJ, and she always has a Vicodin. However, she has a history of abusing painkillers. Also, she's dating/living with my brother, and since my brother lives with my grandmother, she also lives there. My grandmother, who has legitimate pain due to blood clots, is missing a substantial number of Vicodin 7.5's (got 90, was down to 10 within a week.)

I can't see a responsible dentist indefinitely prescribing Vicodin to a 19 year old girl, rather than attempting to treat the root problem. So I'm thinking maybe she's giving me a cover story so I won't be suspiscious of the source of her pills.

So can anyone knowledgeable about the topic tell me if it's normal to get strong painkillers for TMJ? Most sites I see online list other remedies like soft foods and heat. I haven't seen one site mention painkillers.

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure this out.

1) Grandma is missing 80 pills
2) Painkiller addict is living in Grandma's house.

:shrug:

I don't see why it matters if she's being prescribed the pills or not. She's still capable of stealing them.

Not usually. If the TMJ was so extreme that it was causing nerve/muscle pain it could be. Usually it is treated with mouth guards etc.

To be honest with you I don't even know what TMJ is.

I don't want to look it up because the thread is more interesting if I don't know.

wire-muzzle-on-german-shepherd-1.jpg

My wife has/had it. She never had to take painkillers regularly, but she did have to have her jaw surgically broken and reset after her jaw locked up. Shit was wired shut for 4 weeks, and she was on plenty of painkillers after that.

Now she just sleeps with a mouf guard.

I know a lot of people with TMJ, none of them have painkillers. If they do have a surgery for it or something then yeah they could be prescribed but usually if it hurts it just means they can't do a lot with their jaw while it's acting up.

kill that grandma pill stealin bitch

Baby Bew said:
It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure this out.

1) Grandma is missing 80 pills
2) Painkiller addict is living in Grandma's house.

:shrug:

I don't see why it matters if she's being prescribed the pills or not. She's still capable of stealing them.

Yeah yeah, no shit. It seems obvious. Girl in question was sent to boarding school at like 13 for a problem with pills. Girl in question used to visit my brother here; my mother started missing pain pills. When my mother confronted my brother, he got all huffy and moved out, moving in with my father. My father's roomate had cancer; girl in question started visiting my brother, and more pills started going missing. Cancer guy dies. Father, brother and girl move in with my grandmother. Pills go missing again.

The problem is, I don't live with them. I only speak to them once in a while, so I don't have much firsthand knowledge of what's going on. Whenever I talk to my father, he's bitching about my brother and his girlfriend. Whenever I talk to them, they're bitching (quite nastily) about my father. And my grandmother is too nice and sweet to open her mouth. Furthermore, because of the bloodclots, she was taking a lot of pills for a while; however, 80 in 6 days seems impossible to me. Also, my fathers girlfriend is an unsavory character as well; however, she just had carpal tunnel surgery, so she has pain pills of her own and would be less likely to steal.

So basically what I'm looking for is corroboration. I want as much evidence in support of me as I can get. I want to be as sure as possible that the girlfriend is stealing the pills.

Jesus. After rereading all of that, my family really looks like white trash. Disgusting.

i have it

my jaw started clicking every time i opened my mouth and sometimes it got so bad that it was impossible to bite down

i just consciously had to stop tensing my teeth and wear a nightguard and i was alright in a week or so

my muscles on my left side are still a little larger than my right (you can't tell unless i bite down though) :(

One of my uncles is (or at least WAS) one of the top TMJ surgeons in the country. He's 65ish now, but I could ask him about this. If you're seriously interested in a professional answer PM me and I will try to get ahold of him for you in the next couple of days.

Back