Dear Roller Coaster Freaks (NGFM)

GreasyBoy

Veteran XX
Back in Dec when we got our season passes to Six Flags for 2011, we got to use them for the last few weeks of the 2010 season.

I got to walk around under the Texas Giant and see all of the construction they are doing, and this is probably going to be one of the most intense roller coasters around. The Giant was always intense, but just got entirely too rough. They are calling it a HybridCoaster as most of the original framework is there, including that insane first drop, but the rails are steel and it looks like it's going to smooth it out. They've added 4 - 90º vertical turns that look pretty wicked.

They trains look like Cadillacs with horns on the hood like the old Texas Taxi's.

Looks intense. You traveling coaster freaks may want to pencil in Six Flags over Texas to give this a shot.

I used to love the Texas Giant.

There was one day when I was there & it rained for half the morning. Just about everyone bailed. I stuck around and was able to get off of one rollercoaster & just get back on again or go to the next without waiting in line.

It was one of my best days of childhood ever. Registering on TW comes in a close second.

I used to love the Texas Giant.

There was one day when I was there & it rained for half the morning. Just about everyone bailed. I stuck around and was able to get off of one rollercoaster & just get back on again or go to the next without waiting in line.

It was one of my best days of childhood ever. Registering on TW comes in a close second.

My dad rode it and tore a muscle in his chest. He was in a lot of pain for about a year. Never rode it again. I felt pretty bad for him.

I really like the Ratler wooden-coaster in San Antonio when i was younger. thats prob not the same park though. looks cool

edit

that was when i was 8 or so, prob wouldn't be as cool now

double edit- apparently the first drop was significantly shortened, those fucks

Last edited:
My dad rode it and tore a muscle in his chest. He was in a lot of pain for about a year. Never rode it again. I felt pretty bad for him.
Bummer.

Sometimes I like the old style rickety rides, other times I love the tubular-track magneto rides n' stuff.

Bush Gardens has always had a special place in my stomach for wild coasters.

sfot was my home park, grew up going there every summer since I was a small child. this looks like a great upgrade, but I'm surprised they are throwing that much money into the ride instead of putting in something new - I suppose they are really running out of space.

It appears that coaster groups from all over are going to be there on opening day to ride it. April 22.

I will get a pic of me and NGFM if I see him there.

That first drop is insane.

I watched the "test run" video a few days ago and was a bit disappointed by the lack of the "clackety-clackety" sound the old Giant used to make. I am looking forward to riding that bad boy, though.

Sidebar: I was in one of the last groups of people to ride the original Giant. As punishing as that coaster was, especially in its last days, it will always remain one of my all-time favorites.

(Crappy iPhone) Pics from the last day:
jhbk34.jpg

The sun sinks slowly in the west, casting its waning light on the Giant's last few runs.

4kxzte.jpg

One of the last runs of the day. I had just ridden for my last time. :(

fyltu.jpg

A shot of the cake they had for the "closing ceremonies." It looked better than it tasted.

Went on it in 2008, survived. Don't care for wooden coasters. The new trend is steel track with updated trains that have padded seats. This is basically a steel coaster, just has a wooden frame. Holiday World is doing something similar. Wooden coasters start out ok, but after a few years, they're too rough.

Here's the best page to get updated news.
Six Flags over Texas

I don't attend coaster events, so I won't be there. I travel on my own and avoid the crowds.

what kind of ride do you go on and tear a god damned pectoral muscle?

I've ridden a lot of coasters, but this one you just had to experience to actually believe that something was that damn rough. It got worse as it got older which is why they closed it.

Heh, I remember when they originally built it. Rayn its (or was) the roughest roller coaster you've probably ever ridden, its fun but my ass always hurt like hell afterwards, never tore a muscle on it though lol, although it did give me a few bad neck sprains.

It'll still be hard to beat the Titan, but the Giant is almost twice the ride in length, I think it was originally 3.5 mins?

Last edited:
No thanks. I'm sure Six Flags over Texas is inundated with thousands and thousands of dirty spics gumming up every line in the park

I've ridden a lot of coasters, but this one you just had to experience to actually believe that something was that damn rough. It got worse as it got older which is why they closed it.

I'm not much of a roller coaster rider, but a few months ago I went on Thunder Road at Carowinds in SC. It was originally built in 1976 and I always heard it was fairly punishing. It beat the shit out of me.

It's too bad that all the new coasters are trying to be the most extreme possible. I like riding but hate feeling like I'm about to be thrown out of the car, which is what most do.

Back