[DE Razor] Shaving Cream and Aftershave [suggestions?]

Alright wet-shavers, help me out...

I'm running out of my first batch of shaving cream and after shave and I was wondering what everyone else is using and how they like it before I go ahead and just buy the same shit again... I know there's an old thread, but maybe someone found something new since then :p

Currently using:
Merkur "Hefty Classic" Safety Razor
Safety Razors & Blades

Vulfix #2233 Super Badger Shaving Brush
Vulfix Shaving Brushes

Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream
Shaving Soaps, Creams, Lotions & Toiletries

Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort After Shave Balm Travel Tube
Shaving Soaps, Creams, Lotions & Toiletries

I know there's another thread, I was wondering if anyone had any new information available, specifically concerning shaving creams and aftershaves.

Yeah, I was just linking it for reference because I had it bookmarked.

I'm thinking about going this way. I hear it is good for people that have stiff facial hair (you tend to get less shaving bumps).

Yeah, I was just linking it for reference because I had it bookmarked.

I'm thinking about going this way. I hear it is good for people that have stiff facial hair (you tend to get less shaving bumps).

Been at it for a year, never going back to normal shaving.

The shaving cream you selected is good stuff, not too fond of the smell though (even though it says unscented, it has a funky smell)

I suggest finding a good smelling Taylor of Old Bond Street cream (i use the avocado and sandalwood) Amazon.com

As for aftershave... some Proraso Pre/Post Shave (located at most targets in the spa section) is good for both preshave to soften the skin and post shave to sooth any irritation. The proraso shaving cream is good shit too and hella cheap.

Also... I highly recommend an Alum block for post shave. it greatly reduces razor burn/irritation and also closes up any cuts you may get.

Edit: If you're new to DE shaving, get yourself one of letterk's blade sample packs DE Blade Sampler Pack, Standard [DE Blade Sampler Pack, Standard] - $18.00 : West Coast Shaving, Double Edge Blade Sampler Packs beware of the feathers though, they're SHARP as fuck (they're also my favorites).

Last edited:
you don't actually need shaving cream btw. It is just used to soften the hair, which warm water does just as well.

I use almost exactly the same stuff, except I don't wear aftershave on a daily basis.

Same razor, Truefitt & Hill Almond Cream (which smells fucking good), and a Taylor of Old Bond St. Super Badger (which is really just some good quality white label brush, rebranded)

Back