Daniel Johns (silverchair) and the worst Nirvana cover ever.

MC Hamster

Contributor
Veteran XX
Was at this show last night ('festival' sorta gig), and was waiting in line for drinks when this one happened.

Genuine WTF? moment.

Hopefully that's about the worst version you'll ever hear of that.

Background/"The More You Know": Silverchair 'grew' from their kiddy/grungy beginnings to the point that their last album was recorded with a full symphony orchestra. Fair enough if that's what they want to do to explore and stop themselves from getting bored doing the same shit all the time, but personally I've been of the opinion that Daniel Johns disappeared up his own asshole quite some time ago. 'Frogstomp' was a rockin' little album. 'Young Modern' (their last) was just not my cup of tea. Plenty seem to like it though, and even that performance drew a roar from the crowd, though I hope it's more just from the hero worship from the kids in the audience there more than any appreciation of the music itself.

'coz that shit was terribad.

Australia produces good rock bands (Vines, Wolfmother, Jet, ACDC (vge), but Silverchair was fucking terrible. Don't get me started on Savage Garden.

When he hit the chorus all high pitched and fucking stupid I pictured Kurt popping out of the piano and punching him right in the face then doing a pro wrestling style finger point at the harp player.

Kinda over for me at that point.

Australia produces good rock bands (Vines, Wolfmother, Jet, ACDC (vge), but Silverchair was fucking terrible. Don't get me started on Savage Garden.

There's not an awful lot around at the moment.. seems like we've got mostly hipster-angst-folk-rock, to metal, with not a whole lot in between. That said, to go a little more recent than the ones you've listed I could suggest Tame Impala if you haven't already heard them:

Very psychadelic 60s stuff, heavy on the fuzz.

and channeling Sgt Pepper:

...and I think that might just have been the start of it, may I present one of the oddest song titles in recent memory, "Secret Enchanted Broccoli Forest", by The Babe Rainbow

They're out of Australia's Hippie capital, Byron Bay (technically a little town near to Byron called 'Nimbin' is probably the true home of our hippies, but Byron is 'the big smoke' for 'em.

Keep that acid handy though, for King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard: Cellophane

To go back a little, to so others around that probably never had the international 'hit' to get noticed in the US, but IMO are absolutely worth checking out:

You Am I
Custard
Spiderbait (you might know their cover version of 'Black Betty' from a few years ago)
Regurgitator
The Living End
Jebediah
Powderfinger (particularly their earlier stuff.. they also got very 'grand' later in their careers)

Some samples:

Short little ball-tearer by Spiderbait.. their take on the music industry ;)

Live one from The Living End, just to give a taste of what these guys are about..

Back