Cutting the cord - Options for moving away from cable tv

I cut mine about a month ago. I even downgraded my internet from 150mb to 50mb and have not had any issues (yet) with streaming. I'm on the free trial of sling right now, but will probably get a firestick at some point.

sling sucks compare to ps vue. i had hulu and netflix, but found I never use those things since I have kodi running on all the shit I download. If I didn't have couchpotato/sickrage downloading all the shit I want from newsgroups, I'd probably add hulu and netflix back in for something to watch when TV sucked. I think spending a little bit of time getting your downloads working is worth it though.

Teach me the ways. Literally, the only non OTA channels my family care for/watch are AMC, Nick Jr., Bravo, HGTV, and maybe spike. Would a firestick-kodi do that for me?

Yeah, I was saying those are the only "cable" channels we care to have. Everything else we watch is OTA ABC,NBC, FOX

Teach me the ways. Literally, the only non OTA channels my family care for/watch are AMC, Nick Jr., Bravo, HGTV, and maybe spike. Would a firestick-kodi do that for me?
well Vue doesn't get Viacom channels like Nick Jr or Spike due to a recent dispute so if those two channels are big for you and that's your list of must haves then sling is fine. vue gives you unlimited cloud based dvr and a lot of local, sports, and movie channels in the core package. sling didn't have a whole lot that I cared about but I guess its cheaper if you just need a few core channels.

Amazon FireTV w/ Kodi + DirectvNOW = $40 one-time / $35 monthly
OTA DVR - $30 one-time

$35 monthly for cable + local chans + movies/premium content

Firestick with a base subscription of DirecTVNOW (or Kodi, but would not be live)

i just download the shit i want to watch when i want to watch it within seconds with my 300mbps connection.

i cut cable almost 3 years ago

i do need to get a vpn though.

if you go the amazon fire route, spend the extra money for fire tv (are they even selling them anymore?). i have it running on one tv on the stick and its slow af. it has to hard reboot every time you turn off the TV and then when you turn your shit on you are waiting there a few minutes. I have the fire TV on my primary and its money.

I can't find the channel line up or any details on direct tv now vs vue but I'd be interested in learning. if they have a better line up at the same price I'm all about it. from what I've heard its a bit buggy - also no cbs, no nfl, no red zone (I care about that) and the 35 $ deal is only a promo. vue also has that unlimited dvr which is nice. looks like directv still has viacom, which I don't care about, but people do.

DirecTV Now vs. Sling TV vs. PlayStation Vue: Channel lineups compared - CNET

Are you running the 1st gen stick or 2nd gen? 2nd gen has the Alexa voice remote. There's a HUGE difference, the 1st gen sucks. I've see no performance differences between my firetv and firestick.

I'll agree it's buggy, but DTV owns the TV space and service will improve soon. They're bringing a DVR service online in the next 6 months. Locals are market dependant, if you have a paypal account with a zip within one of the local markets, you'll get the channels. No CBS though.

its a 1st gen but it still has to boot when the TV comes on with the 2nd gen, right? that's the biggest suck about it. it's not a HUGE deal but it probably takes 2-3 minutes before I can use my menu and a couple more before I can load content on the TV with the stick. playback from amazon is fine, kodi is a bit choppy.

maybe 2nd gen stick is ok, but that shutting off with the TV is a pain.

do you have to pay with paypal? that's kind of a negative for me since I've had (am having) problems with them due to ID theft. I guess its not a deal breaker. you definitely have a point about DTV having the tv space. i get locals with vue (or DTV I'm sure) cause I'm in NYC metro.

if dtv shapes up (and lowers their price point after the promo - I'm not paying 60 bucks [or 35 bucks to beta test this shit] - no way) I would definitely switch.

do they have their channel lineups posted anywhere? its such a pain to find what channels come with what packages, even for vue. I don't think any normal person needs more than the 2nd package with either service, but just curious.

If you run AC power to the 2nd gen it'll stay on. My Samsung has high enough USB power output to power the stick directly, so I just run it that way. Mine boots to a full usable menu in under 25 seconds. It doesn't support 4k, but being able to pull it and take on-the-go makes it worthwhile on a bedroom/second tv.

yeah I def like the stick for portability. I have an extra just sitting around I bring to hotels. can't use vue with it though, it's locked to your home IP. can still get netflix/hulu/whatever I can buy for $1 from hackers.

can we talk about that for a second? why can I buy like unlimited netflix/hulu/hbo/anything accounts for a dollar? that's crazy. I guess they sell them to a few people cause mine usually get the passwords changed after a month, but the dudes will replace them when that happens. i wish they'd just sell it to only me so the guy whose account I'm using wouldn't get tipped off so fast. I barely ever open those things.

Split it with a friend..thats one benefit of DTVNow, you can run two concurrent streams and it's not locked down by IP. Sling and Vue is limited to 1.

Yep, anywhere..AND not be locked down by location services. Get a DC/Chicago,etc zip attached to a paypal acct and now you have locals on-the-go too.

do you have to pay with paypal? that's kind of a negative for me since I've had (am having) problems with them due to ID theft. I guess its not a deal breaker. you definitely have a point about DTV having the tv space. i get locals with vue (or DTV I'm sure) cause I'm in NYC metro.

if dtv shapes up (and lowers their price point after the promo - I'm not paying 60 bucks [or 35 bucks to beta test this shit] - no way) I would definitely switch.

do they have their channel lineups posted anywhere? its such a pain to find what channels come with what packages, even for vue. I don't think any normal person needs more than the 2nd package with either service, but just curious.

No, BUT it's an easy way to get local channels. They determine locals based on the billing zip of the credit card on file OR paypal acct. If you care about locals it's worthwhile to set it up imo, if not, no biggie I have OTA. It's just nice to have locals when i'm on the go and want to watch football.

Well, good luck with that cable cord cutting now that Trump's FCC chair is in place. Net neutrality will be abolished and the cable company will be charging Netflix, Sling, etc. more to push their services through so unless your going totally OTA...

They'll probably implement bandwidth caps before this.

Back