Crysis = 87,000 For 2007, UT3 = 40,000, Did VUG Cry Chicken Too Soon With T:V?

UT3 had bad marketing this time around. I read PC Gamer, and hell, I didn't even know UT3 was out until I was out and about xmas shopping.

Epic makes those games on PC for fun and as a tech demo. Why would they invest a lot of money on marketing? What's being marketed is the engine... and it's already dominant.

It would be like making a huge deal out of Portal sales.

T:V also wasn't bleeding edge graphical quality that made current gaming rigs squeal like pigs.

So you don't have the intimidation factor of, "Wow, I don't think I can play that on my computer."

we tried to play the ps3 version of ut3 the other day at work. there were like 5 servers and maybe a total of 100 people playing. of course, it was during the day so things may be different at night...

the reason being given why it isn't as popular as it once was is that ut3 = ut2k with better graphics and gamers these days want something new. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Epic makes those games on PC for fun and as a tech demo. Why would they invest a lot of money on marketing? What's being marketed is the engine... and it's already dominant.

It would be like making a huge deal out of Portal sales.

Okay, TseTse, I'm not going to argue with you. I just find it surprising that UT3 had very little marketing. The game sells. Fans buy the game. I bought 2k3, and 2k4 on launch day. I didn't know launch day this time around, or I would've already had the game.

I think I paid 30 for my xbox live gold year card. I don't play online with consoles much, but I did play sometimes and I enjoyed it. If I really enjoyed playing some console FPS games I would probably pay annually. But free is good too.

err... the UT games (except the first 2) have pretty much sucked. its more about engine licensing with them. They make a good engine, have no gameplay, sell a handful of games, but then sell the engine hand over fist and get bloody rich from everyone else doing the hard bit of thinking up gameplay people want to play.

err... the UT games (except the first 2) have pretty much sucked. its more about engine licensing with them. They make a good engine, have no gameplay, sell a handful of games, but then sell the engine hand over fist and get bloody rich from everyone else doing the hard bit of thinking up gameplay people want to play.

What the fuck are you talking about, Unreal 2k3 and 2k4 especially were wildly popular. Unreal 2 did bomb but that's still a 4-1 record.

Okay, TseTse, I'm not going to argue with you. I just find it surprising that UT3 had very little marketing. The game sells. Fans buy the game. I bought 2k3, and 2k4 on launch day. I didn't know launch day this time around, or I would've already had the game.

Actually, 2k34 didnt do so great either. I was big into UT2k3, the mod scene and even runnign around with the devs on servers. I loved it... briefly. Same with ut2k4. Sales were ok with 2k3 but 2k4 didnt go as great and they lost ground online to the warfare games.

Keep in mind we're not talking total, final UT3 sales yet. That was just a few weeks of lackluster sales without marketing.

I agree they could have invested in more marketing and it could have paid off, especially if they hyped a big mod competition again. But Epic makes their $$$ from licensing their technology and new IP. They likely decided to cut their losses and just enjoyed making UT3.

But i think Epic realizes that while they have some die-hard fans in the UT scene, they can't just keep cranking out the same game "deluxe" year after year.

They needed to make a straight up "unreal warfare" game without retreading 1999.

edit:

Folks have romantic memories of the old school gameplay from 1999 with tribes, ut and quake. UT and quake tsill have thousands playing every night, but this isnt enough to sell the same gameplay anymore.

Last edited:
whats wrong with UT3?

It runs at 50 fps average on my computer. My comp is also using SLi and hardware physics.

*shrug*

Also played UT2K4, but don't care anymore because the player counts are only 32. Games become lopsided if anyone leaves, and I got bored with it. The other reason I didn't follow it, is because in the past there were so many delays.

A new tribes game would work, but the execs think that since T:V failed no one cares.

What would it take for GG to actually make T3? That would be a good story. Pretend someone won the lottery and find out if it could be done.

The real test of how a game is doing is the Gamespy chart.
GameSpy.com - Gimme The Stats!

Last edited:
you guys have no idea what you are talking about :rofl: UT2k4 sold great! Unreal 2 wasn't even made by Epic (other than engine) and yes, it sucked.

Back