Creationism, should it be taught in School?

Vlasic said:
if someone wants a lesson on creationism they should go to a church.

Why would a church want the government to teach religion for anyways. A wise prophet once said, "careful what you ask for. you just might get it."

Yobol said:
That fits in nicely with his changing around the punctuations. God that just blows my mind. He actually changed the punctuations.

That and knowing from his previous posts that he could NEVER write a paper which read like that just made the alarm go off im my head.

I'm amazed that his stupidity hasn't ceased to amaze me. Just when you think you've figured out how stupid he is, he goes and does something to one-up it.

ThrillKillKulT said:
As an Atheist I see no problem with offering different theories in school as long as they are offered as theories and as long as they can be offered in a non-religiously biased way from a non partial point of view.

Wowbagger said:
Hey guys I think we should teach 3rd graders the theories that Earth may or may not be the Center of the universe.

They should be able to decide for themselves!!

The point I'm trying to make is this:

When do students first start learning about the origins of man? 6th grade? 5th grade? At that age there's no fucking way they'll be able to comprehend all the subtle issues such as irreducible complexity or the 2nd law of thermodynamics (most adults can't even tell the difference between entropy and complexity). How are they supposed to decide? They're just going to go through life confused.

You can try to be all open-minded and PC but when you get down to it, one theory is accepted virtually everywhere and the other is even a theory.

ThrillKillKulT said:
As an Atheist I see no problem with offering different theories in school as long as they are offered as theories and as long as they can be offered in a non-religiously biased way from a non partial point of view.

mind you, if this is allowed, the danger is so should voodoo, witchcraft and satanism and whatever else wants equal time. basically Religion will fuck education up like it has fucked everything else up.
i agree

but

there is no scientific evidence for things like creationism, and as such, does not belong in a science class.

DaNGr said:
CREATIONISM
Should it be taught in school?

no, because only proven facts should be taught in school

and creationism is fiction until jesus returns and tells us otherwise

Pagy said:
there is no scientific evidence for things like creationism, and as such, does not belong in a science class.

problem is it is an eye of the beholder thing. some creationists argue that there is. When it comes to the origin of the universe, everything is theory with no exceptions.

ThrillKillKulT said:
problem is it is an eye of the beholder thing. some creationists argue that there is. When it comes to the origin of the universe, everything is theory with no exceptions.

From this site:
A scientific theory or law represents an hypothesis, or a group of related hypotheses, which has been confirmed through repeated experimental tests.

Name a single test which has confirmed creationism.

ThrillKillKulT said:

"Theory" is a scientific term. There is no theory of Creation, there's Genesis and that's it.

And I am in SoCal, maybe we are liberal freaks, but I don't know of any religious schools in the area that would gut their student's science education by foisting this crap on them. Creationism is the exclusive realm of the stupid.

In a perfect world, we'd be able to teach dozens of origin theories, from evolution to Christian creationism to greek mythology to the creation stories of Hopi Indians. Unfortunately, unless an entire class was devoted to this, there wouldn't nearly be enough time for any in-depth discussion. Since most creation theories are based on stories, legends, and myths, it's prudent that schools focus on evolution within their given timeframe, as it's the only one with a scientific, empirical foundation.

ThrillKillKulT said:

No, it really isn't in the eye of the beholder. I can't believe there are people that actually argue for this. :ftard:

Back