Crazy Computer setups???

Locke355 said:
he wont.. but i will sweet cheeks.
oh BABY. oh, i wanted to ask you. offhand, do you know how/if it's possible to recompile an entire gentoo system using emerge? I just swapped mobo/cpu from a p3 to an athlon, and even though my previous compile flags were p3-specific (-march=pentium3), most everything still works; certain things do not (top, for example). I've changed the compile flags in make.conf, but I want to have emerge recompile everything just to be safe ;o

Bohica said:
oh BABY. oh, i wanted to ask you. offhand, do you know how/if it's possible to recompile an entire gentoo system using emerge? I just swapped mobo/cpu from a p3 to an athlon, and even though my previous compile flags were p3-specific (-march=pentium3), most everything still works; certain things do not (top, for example). I've changed the compile flags in make.conf, but I want to have emerge recompile everything just to be safe ;o
stick your p in its fd?

Bohica said:

i *think* it is something like "emerge -e -deep world" .. but i could be wrong. You may or may not need the -deep, and I could be completely wrong.

I just reinstalled a few months ago because i upgraded from an athlon-xp to a p4 (first time i had reinstalled in .. 2 years?), and i felt like kinda clearing all the crap away and old install was optimized for athlon-xp only. Doesn't take very long, specially if you save your config files.

GL

Locke355 said:
i *think* it is something like "emerge -e -deep world" .. but i could be wrong. You may or may not need the -deep, and I could be completely wrong.

I just reinstalled a few months ago because i upgraded from an athlon-xp to a p4 (first time i had reinstalled in .. 2 years?), and i felt like kinda clearing all the crap away and old install was optimized for athlon-xp only. Doesn't take very long, specially if you save your config files.

GL
k, coo. ya, i really don't feel like reinstalling ;)

i hope this doesn't clobber my fstab/passwd/shadow/etc. files. something i tried earlier did so, and i didn't notice until i rebooted and it failed to come up :x

So I close my laptop last night with 138 packages to emerge. I open it up this morning with 138 left. The bastard went into standby or some shit, even though it was plugged into AC. :sigh:

Locke355 said:
haha.. owned.
Actually, I just looked again, and it's back at 2 of 146. Looks like it's in some sort of dependency loop? I think all I did was 'emerge -e world'

Back