Copying DVDs?

rukkus

Contributor
Veteran XX
Is DVD Shrink still the most popular method for this? I have been having trouble copying a lot of movies with it lately. Anyone use anything else?

Thanks

I just do the main film now, and have no troubles with Shrink.

That said, on some rips, you will need to remane Video_TS_Menu1.VOB or some shit to Video_TS.VOB. I had this experience with Elizabethtown, so it's most likely going to be on newer releases.

Doaln said:
dvdfabdecrypter & then dvdshrink for newer movies

www.doom9.org

I actually just used dvdfab last night for the first time and burned Hostel and it came out all fucked up. halfway through the movie it just starts stuttering nonstop. guess i should try it again, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else out there.

I actually have had a problem with DVD shrink. it still works but for some reason I will have to RIP the file onto my HD with DVD Shrink and then open nero to burn it. normally you can just hit copy to DVD or whatever the menu option is.

Then again I have only tried it maybe 3 times, I could probabally get the settings to work if i tried.

ceand said:
I just do the main film now, and have no troubles with Shrink.

That said, on some rips, you will need to remane Video_TS_Menu1.VOB or some shit to Video_TS.VOB. I had this experience with Elizabethtown, so it's most likely going to be on newer releases.

HA HA you burned a copy of elizabethtown!

fag

:)

I used to use this process:
1) rip with DVD Decrypter (use AnyDVD if necessary)
2) shrink/encode with DVD Shrink to an image file
3) burn image with DVD Decrypter

Recently, I've gotten a bit more concerned with quality. DVD Shrink is a great program that's pretty quick and provides a decent to good quality rip. But since i'm not in a rush to rip/encode my movies, I've switched methods to a much slower but higher quality method
1) Rip with DVD Decrypter (use AnyDVD if necessary)
2) Open with DVD Rebuilder
3) Encode 10 passes with CCE to image file
4) Burn with DVD Decrypter

DVD Shrink took anywhere between 1-2 hours usually. CCE I can count on about 8-12 hours.

Nutcracker said:
1-2 hours? takes me around 15-30mins for a dvd
with dvd shrink? either you have a much faster system (i have an athlon barton 2800+) or you're not using deep analysis and AEC.

btw, clone dvd blows. it's worse than dvd shrink.

iNVAR said:
with dvd shrink? either you have a much faster system (i have an athlon barton 2800+) or you're not using deep analysis and AEC.

btw, clone dvd blows. it's worse than dvd shrink.
ahh yeah I'm not doing deep analysis or AEC, quality seems fine without it for me

if i'm not mistaken, clonedvd is a single pass transcode, which means that it only "goes through" the movie once and while it's going through that pass, it's transcoding, trying to distribute bits as it deams necessary based on the constraint of 4.7GB for the movie.

Because of the space constraint, going through at LEAST a second pass (DVD shrink's "Deep Analysis" option) will make a significant improvement in quality, but as a result, it will take longer...

If you're like me, you'll go through a maximum of 10 passes using CCE, which explains why it takes that much longer.

As for DVD shrink's AEC option, I would choose to use "Maximum Smoothness" which tends to reduce blockiness in the movie at the cost of making things not as sharp. you could choose one of the other options ("Maximum Sharpness") but you'd get more blocks.

I strongly recommend using something that has a "Deep Analysis" option in it. It'll make a big difference in quality and it'll take only about 2X as long. You might not notice the quality difference now, but if you watch your movie on some higher end equipment, it'll start to bother you.

15-30 minutes for a DVD means your not doing a deep scan, and you're losing some quality if you're shrinking it.

I try to use DVD Shrink when possible, because it's a one-step process and the output quality is pretty good for the compression in size. However I have a weird issue where DVD shrink will give an error if I try to use it to backup a DVD without compression. In those cases I use DVD Decrypter and then burn with CloneDVD2, but I get some bad burns on occasion doing this. Parts of chapters will be missing, and the playback will skip to next chapter on occasion.

EDIT: @invar

You are exactly right, if I watch any of my DVD's on a HDTV they appear blocky... but on normal TV's (including big screens and our TV) they look fine. So if you have high end equipment spend the extra time and effort to get the smoothest copy you can.

Back