Computer Wont Start.

Araya

Veteran XV
Ok, for some odd reason mycomputer wont boot up! It was working fine up until last week or so, when my USB ports stopped working. Then, last night my mouse stopped functioning all together, my computer wouldnt even register it as connected. Then, when i went to reboot, it never started back up!

The computer itself turns on, but for some reason it doesnt send anything to my monitor. And i dont get the usual beep at startup. Any ideas??

Asus P4SD-LA
P4 3.0

Have you done any work inside the computer at all lately? Any power spikes? Sounds like the motherboard is toast.

The last work i did on the computer was installing another stick of RAM and a new soundcard and videocard. And before that i got a new case. But this is all from a couple weeks ago. My best guess is the mobo.

Remove all the RAM and see if it gives you error beeps. If not then its probably the CPU

*bump* Mine wont start either, i didnt lose any functionality before the crash, it just happened. Everything seems to be powered (the cdrom ejects, i can hear the hd start and stop spinning and all appropriate leds light up), but nothing shows on the monitor, not even bios. I swapped video cards, and still nothing. After checking this post, i took out the ram and i dont get any beeps.

Slacker said:
Remove all the RAM and see if it gives you error beeps. If not then its probably the CPU
The CPU can't affect USB and mouse ports. That is definitely telling that something is wrong with the motherboard. Or possibly the power supply, but more likely the motherboard (or one caused the other ;)).

And as far as the beeps go, it all depends on how fucked up the motherboard is.

Well i got another mobo coming in the mail, hopefully that does the trick. Ill cry if its my cpu.

Ok, today i got my new mobo in the mail, via newegg. Installed it, moved everything over, turned it on, and everything works! So yes, the problem was the motherboard, so Gibe you may want to look into a new mobo. And thank yoi Ixterra, Dark Angel and Slacker for the help. :)

Hold the phone. Have you tried to reset the CMOS either via jumper or battery + ram removal? If not, look at the documentaion for the mobo, most of them have a jumper for resetting the cmos to default. If not, remove the ram and the battery and leave them out overnight.

Minstrel said:
Hold the phone. Have you tried to reset the CMOS either via jumper or battery + ram removal? If not, look at the documentaion for the mobo, most of them have a jumper for resetting the cmos to default. If not, remove the ram and the battery and leave them out overnight.
You don't need to remove the RAM to reset the CMOS. :p I would have suggested that except for the issues he had with the USB/PS/2 ports before it stopped working completely.

Back