Computer Problems

Waks

Veteran X
Ok my computer will randomly reboot for no reason, I have auto reboot off and it seems like it might have to do with power, so I thought maybe it was erring voltages in the house. I have checked the event viewer for the system and found this: Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 10/26/2010 9:27:58 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: George-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-10-27T02:27:58.610416000Z" />
<EventRecordID>93663</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>George-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Here is my set up:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Graphics:
SAPPHIRE 100286L Radeon HD 4860 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100286L Radeon HD 4860 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Motherboard:
ECS P55H-A(1.0) LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - ECS P55H-A(1.0) LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

PowerSupply: Newegg.com - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

RAM:
OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1333LV4GK
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1333LV4GK

CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7860
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7860

Is my power-supply not strong enough? It seems to only do it on games so I guess when it is pulling the most power from the PSU.

i wanna say faulty mobo or maybe its overheating?

running games makes shit run hotter, i could see that being it. try blowing on the mobo while your playing to cool it off, also obligatory sandpaper comment

i wanna say faulty mobo or maybe its overheating?

running games makes shit run hotter, i could see that being it. try blowing on the mobo while your playing to cool it off, also obligatory sandpaper comment

I don't think it is overheating but I'll try it out.

make sure all the fans are spinning in your case, overheating would cause reboot. Get memtest and test your memories to make sure they are not the issue.

did memtest at a friends awhile back when it started and they were fine. the fans are all spinning and it isn't giving off much heat when I play games. The temps were I think 40c

The ECS factor should not be overlooked in this case. Yeah, good advice so far. You might be on the right track also with it being a power supply issue.

Last edited:
then it's probably a faulty mobo or power supply, the psu is more than strong enough for your system, but if it's dying or something it could cause problems. if you can get another PSU to test it would be the best option.

Make sure you don't have a corrupted memory stick in it, I have one of those, fun to put in friends computer to fuck with them.

if not heat issue

make an image of your install
do a fresh install of windows and only install required drivers and game (from supplied driver cd preferably)
play game and see what happens

if still borken, then start w/ hardware troubleshooting. ie new thermal paste on cpu and remove half the ram and test etc.

if not borken, start windows updates and rest of drivers and see how it goes from there

all this should only take 2 hours and will save a lot of time

if not heat issue

make an image of your install
do a fresh install of windows and only install required drivers and game (from supplied driver cd preferably)
play game and see what happens

if still borken, then start w/ hardware troubleshooting. ie new thermal paste on cpu and remove half the ram and test etc.

if not borken, start windows updates and rest of drivers and see how it goes from there

all this should only take 2 hours and will save a lot of time

to tell the truth it did this the first day I got it, then it stopped.

How do I make an image of my install?

So I just looked on my mobo again and noticed that a spring screw is missing from one of the heatsinks so it isn't completely secure. Fucking ECS I bet it was gone since the beginning.

If you put a strong enough magnet next to the processor fan, It will make the blades spin faster ensuring that it is correctly cooled.

Back