computer, no longer turns on?

Inspin

Veteran X
Okay. I drove across country, the box had both sides on and it was secured nicely in the backseat of my car. I get to my apartment, plug it in and I hear a whirring noise for a second and then nothing. I assumed it was the power supply so I went out and bought a cheap 400watt one today to test that theory out. Nothing.

Is there any tests I can do to see if it's the motherboard? (besides just buying a new one?). I've checked every fucking connection I could to see if anything was shaken loose during the trip but everything looks good.

Any ideas?

Have you reseated the graphics card, memory modules and processor's heatsink?

Last edited:
Know a few peeps with this prob going to LAN games with their rigs and usually is a loose connection even though it sounds like you had your PC secured well... Never heard of a PSU going bad like that but I guess its always a possibility... I am with Nailer on this but I would remove your Vid Card and Sound Card and any other PCI card so you have clear access and re-check all connections/cables again ~~> maybe unseat and reseat the plugs to make for sure especially those going to the Mobo... Don't forget to check the small bundles of wires that connect to the Mobo from your Case that goto the on/off switch and from LED lights; then re-install your cards and see what happens...

Make sure you ground yourself first before going into the Case...

I took everything apart and reseated everything again. I went through the manual to make sure everything was in the right place. I have no idea what it could be now. My motherboard is now down to $59 on newegg. I can't even get anyone to look at the PC for less than that around here. I'd just buy a new one right now if I knew for sure that was the problem. I don't know anyone around here so i'd hate to just keep buying new components.

system:
msi k8n neo 4 socket 939
amd athlon 64 3000+ 939
2gigs kingston pc3200 ram
sapphire radeon x800xl 256meg

If the motherboard has a short somewhere it could be killing the PS I believe.

the reason i said it sounds like the heatsink is because you said the first time it powered on momentarily (fans spun up) and then shut off. sounded like an overheat protection thing. or the cpu blew if it doesn't have a sensor on it.

dear god, it might be the cpu?

This is fucking ridiculous. I guess I'll have to pay someone to figure out exactly what the problem is.

okay I gave up. I paid someone $60 to diagnose the problem. He'll be picking up my machine tomorrow.

I'll post back with what the problem was.

Back