Computer dying... help

Ravyn

Veteran XV
So not too sure where the problem might be was hoping someone here could narrow it down for me.

Lately my PC has been running super slow. So I cleaned it out a bit, defragged, virus scanned, malware etc. Went to restart it the other day and now it will freeze during the boot up for anywhere from 1min to 10 minutes at the part where it displays my memory "Memory runs at dual channel etc..."

Then windows boots up and it will freeze on the loading screen for windows for another 5 minutes before bringing me to my desktop.

I don't know if it's a problem with my RAM or my motherboard? I don't think it's the HDD as I replaced that less than a year ago.

System specs:
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP35-DS3L
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F4, 4/2/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.50 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.34 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.22 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.57 GB
Page File Space 3.79 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

check if your hard drive is reporting any errors

imo, this sounds like it's is doing some extra chkdisk on bootup or waiting on a faulty disk or peripherals.

1hSWX.jpg

sounds like your motherboard, but re-seat your ram and run Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool for 5-6hrs also dust out your case in case its heat. Would also re-seat the cpu and video card. Pull the bios battery out too then reinsert it.

Did all of this. Memtest completed without any errors. It booted up a bit faster a few times, but it seems hit or miss, couple took just as long as before in between some boots that seemed almost at an expected speed.

If it's not even getting to the Windows boot screen then it's not the HDD.

The first thing you should do is take out everything that isn't needed to run the PC (sound cards, video cards if you have integrated video you can use, extra ram, etc.). Try booting up with the bare essentials and see how it runs.

I imagine the system tests that show RAM diagnostics/etc are not loaded from HDD, which means that when it hangs for 1-10 minutes there, there is a hardware problem.

Double check any bios settings that may be set wrong - I saw a computer the other day that couldn't boot because the SATA controller was randomly set to RAID instead of AHCI
Maybe try toggling speedstep on/off?
You could experiment with underclocking your CPU and loosening up the RAM timings if your really having stability issues.

Did you even bother to check the log files? Plus you're running Vista with only 4gb ram you think that piece of shit is going to start up with blazing speed? Perform clean install. If problem still exists, then trash shitty old computer.

Back