Clint Eastwood - sunset time

This weekend, I am going to watch The Eiger Sanction. That's a fun one. Also, I lived around that area in Switzerland and even know a guy in the film as a bit part. My pal is a Swiss mountain guide and was a consultant on the film. I saw this in the theaters when it was released. I was 12 lol

iu

The book is far far superior. I know that is usually the case, but trevanian is one of my favorite authors.

Someday someone will make shibumi into a movie. Someday.

So, I went out and got myself a bottle and a couple of shitty little cigars to have while watching Clint movies.

I couldn't find the fucking Ransom Emerald here in PDX. And, I couldn't find the Toscano Toscanellos. But, I didn't look that hard either.

In the meantime, this Burnside and god knows what fucking things these are will make do. The cheroots were labeled "Kentucky" lol.

huVBp4W.jpg

I may have to drive over to the distillery to get my bottle of choice to honor Clint.
iu

This is distilled about an hour down the road.
The 1865 coincides with the end of the Civil war and you can see that going on in a number of his movies.
Also, I think that was the year he was born ;)

I ran into him once in Sun Valley, ID. He hangs out there. I didn't speak to him but I did acknowledge him with a slight lift of my head and eyebrows. He did about the same. We didn't have to draw.

NOTE: This bottle of Burnside is tasty. It's bourbon whisky and aged in Oregon Oak. Hits the nose right and has a really awesome smooth, butterscotch aftertaste. I'd rate it above average. It comes with a cork cap but I don't think it will be staying corked that long. I'm not a huge drinker but this won't make it through the Fall.

I can't really imagine what the stuff was like that the characters Clint played drank in the bars out West and down south of the border at the end of the 1800s. They used to hang bootleggers in some areas even before the prohibition years.

Here is a link to an article by some dude talking about old west whiskey:
Whiskey In The Old West - True West Magazine

Whiskey In The Old West A lot of whiskey was consumed. There was good whiskey and there was bad. Or, as some would say, “It was all good, but some was better.”
May 21, 2020 Marshall Trimble
whiskey
Old West saloon.

A True West recently asked, “My wife and I watch western movies all of the time. We have noticed that there is a lot of whiskey drinking in all of them. We were wondering if there was actually that much drinking in the real west. I would also like to know if you know what the whiskey of the old days was really made of, not the movie stuff, but the real thing?”

Yep, a lot of whiskey was consumed. There was good whiskey and there was bad. Or, as some would say, “It was all good, but some was better.”

Other than church’s, saloons were about the only place where men could gather and socialize. Whiskey was considered the rough and ready king of remedies. It was “a miracle cure-all” for whatever ails one, including loneliness.

Free Trappers during the heyday of the fur trade, unless they wintered at Taos, New Mexico, usually could only tie one on once a year and that was at the rendezvous, held at some part of the Rocky Mountains each summer. The traders from St. Louis diluted the alcohol 50% river water but it was the only hooch available for hundreds of miles so they quaffed it down. Alcohol could be purchased in St. Louis for 20 cents a gallon sold for $5 a pint and watered down before reaching the rendezvous. Prices for all they needed to survive another year in the wilderness, powder, lead, traps, tobacco, geegaws to trade or make presents for the native women.

Most of the whiskey was rotgut in the early mining camps but towns like Virginia City and Tombstone could also import the finest whiskies and wines.

The rotgut whiskey wasn’t aged and had an extremely high alcohol content with high fusel oil, using grain and corn of dubious quality or molasses as a fermentation base. Whiskey labeled as bourbon was actually distilled from low-grade molasses.

Whiskey shipped west in the 1800s might have started out as bourbon but along the way it was watered down and mixed with other ingredients to expand the supply and increase profits.

One of the favorite whiskey recipes is Ol’ Snakehead. Ingredients were:

1 gal. alcohol.
1 lb. plug or black twist of tobacco for color.

1 lb. black strap molasses for flavor.
1 handful red Spanish peppers for spice.
5 gal. river water.
2 rattlesnake heads per barrel. This gives it “spirit.”

Then drop in a horseshoe. If the shoe sinks, it ain’t ready yet but when it rises to the surface and floats, the whiskey is ready to drink.

So - I am sure the bottle I picked up is on a different planet from the stuff Clint drinks in some of the deserted towns his characters traveled through. Probably a good thing if the Ol' Snakehead recipe is for real.

Here is another article from "Serious Eats" that takes a look at old west whiskey:

So what were they drinking back then? Some popular whiskey nicknames from the era offer a glimpse: mountain howitzer, coffin varnish, chain-lightning, strychnine, and tangleleg—none of which sound very appetizing. Cowboys never had a reputation for being very sophisticated connoisseurs. The whiskey they drank was simply fuel for the saloons' many other pastimes, whatever those happened to be.

Quality and flavor among whiskies in the late 1800s varied widely. There were few regulations about how the stuff should be made. Additionally, trademark and copyright rules were lax. Not much prevented someone from calling a product "Pure Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey, Aged 10 years," even though just about every word on the label was a lie and the product tasted like kerosene. Back then, it was hard to know exactly what you were buying.

More...
The Whiskey That Won the Wild West

Last edited:
A fucking Welshman.
A native of Wales, Evan Williams came to Kentucky around 1780. He settled in Louisville, which had been established two years earlier. Upon his arrival, Williams noted a problem in the state’s agricultural industry—Kentucky’s rich soil was capable of producing massive crops, but there was not enough infrastructure to support its transportation. This resulted in significant surpluses of corn and other grains. Williams saw opportunity, and in 1783, built his distillery on the banks of the Ohio River, distilling whiskey from purchased corn surpluses on the East side of what is now 5th Street. It is said to have been the first commercial distillery in Kentucky, shipping barrels by flatboat down the Ohio River. In 1801, his federal distilling license indicated that he owned three whiskey stills licensed at 141, 130 and 93 gallons.

So between 1000-1200AD a bunch of wine drunk monks made it to Scotland / Ireland and didn't have grapes. So, they started fermenting stuff they could get their drunken mitts on. Grain.

Around 1536 - King Henry the VIII told the monks to bugger off and they dropped the frock and started distilling.

Around 1600 some of these buggers came to the states and fermented our grains and mash.

And, in 1783 a Welshman finds the perfect spot to use a surplus of corn mash to get everyone in the country drunk from Kentucky corn.

And, that shit plus god knows what other fermented stuff fuels the next phase of the American civil war and up to prohibition.

A fucking Welshman.

So between 1000-1200AD a bunch of wine drunk monks made it to Scotland / Ireland and didn't have grapes. So, they started fermenting stuff they could get their drunken mitts on. Grain.

Around 1536 - King Henry the VIII told the monks to bugger off and they dropped the frock and started distilling.

Around 1600 some of these buggers came to the states and fermented our grains and mash.

And, in 1783 a Welshman finds the perfect spot to use a surplus of corn mash to get everyone in the country drunk from Kentucky corn.

And, that shit plus god knows what other fermented stuff fuels the next phase of the American civil war and up to prohibition.

Evan Williams is actually decent whiskey. Not expensive either.

I am sure it is - but he's a Welshman. Which, I say in jest. I have Welsh blood. It's mixed with Swedish, Prussian and French. I thought it was funny because when you talk about old Whisky/Whiskey/Scotch - you typically think of the Scots and the Irish. Not the Welsh. And here is this enterprising Welshmen starting up a profitable enterprise in Kentucky. The Irish/Scots were probably too drunk to figure it out ;)

I am sure it is - but he's a Welshman. Which, I say in jest. I have Welsh blood. It's mixed with Swedish, Prussian and French. I thought it was funny because when you talk about old Whisky/Whiskey/Scotch - you typically think of the Scots and the Irish. Not the Welsh. And here is this enterprising Welshmen starting up a profitable enterprise in Kentucky. The Irish/Scots were probably too drunk to figure it out ;)

Lol I think of jack and Jim.

I have had a couple shots of whiskey and now it's time for:
iu

It has Robert Duvall. It's written by Elmore Leonard who I really like as a writer/author. I am not sure I have even seen it so this will be fun.

Clint's new movie, most likely his last.

When he does pass on to Valhalla, it should be a national holiday, with Flags at Half-Staff.

I have had a couple shots of whiskey and now it's time for:
iu

It has Robert Duvall. It's written by Elmore Leonard who I really like as a writer/author. I am not sure I have even seen it so this will be fun.

Damn. This is a Clint film I've never heard of. Was it good?

Good is a tough one. I liked it. But, it's not a Sergio Leone film. He talks a bit more. He's not exactly a loner. He's kind of an ex bounty hunter. So, I would put it somewhere in the middle of his Westerns. Certainly worth a watch if you into watching Eastwood movies.

I figured out what I like about Clint Eastwood movies. His movies and characters make me feel like a better man. I cannot think of another director or actor that I can say that about. It's not just one. A number of his roles and movies have this effect on me. Cheers Mr. Eastwood.

Back