[civ4] Patch 1.52 out

crouton

Veteran X
Searched for previous threads, didn't find any. Apologies if I missed it somehow.

Firaxis came out with the 1.52 patch. The previous patch was 1.09, and yes there are apparently a ton of changes that make the naming change worthwhile.

Linkage: (Apolyton.net) http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=146004&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

Cliffs from patch notes (Available at above):

v1.52 is a major upgrade to Civ IV and includes numerous optimizations for memory usage that should help performance on all machines but are tailored to especially improve performance on machines at or near the minimum specification.

Major changes include:
-Shared low-level graphics buffers
-Removed many unused fonts and reduced interface memory usgae
-Paged out units which are not visible
-Reduced terrain data size and overhead
-Reduced route data size
-Created a set of low-res movies for machines without dynamic texture support (this is a separate download)

And a literal fuckton of fixes and additions. This is one of the best patches I've ever seen come out, they're really throwing support behind this game. SDK in the new year, mods already rolling out... this game is a keeper. :sunny:

Also, if anyone is interested in getting a weekly game going again (or play-by-email) PM me.

I think that was just your POS computer, Terra. This 'fucking vegetable' is willing to give it another try, though.

:sunny:

arcadus said:
your computer must suck

I am well above the recommended specs (not minimum). I have tried all sorts of things to make this work. Different drivers, messing with AGP apperature, 3rd party memory fixes, etc. I've tried two different vid cards. There is absolutely nothing unecessary running in the background. I keep a rather clean PC.

Fear runs with everything on high, and yet I get 8fps on a SMALL MAP with two AI's in civ4. Great.

There is a massive thread on civ fanatics because someone went out of their way to create a memory fox for the many people who were having random CTD's, slowdowns, etc etc. To say there is nothing wrong with the game is inane.

In conclusion: your face must suck

CombatWombat said:
I am well above the recommended specs (not minimum). I have tried all sorts of things to make this work. Different drivers, messing with AGP apperature, 3rd party memory fixes, etc. I've tried two different vid cards. There is absolutely nothing unecessary running in the background. I keep a rather clean PC.

Fear runs with everything on high, and yet I get 8fps on a SMALL MAP with two AI's in civ4. Great.

There is a massive thread on civ fanatics because someone went out of their way to create a memory fox for the many people who were having random CTD's, slowdowns, etc etc. To say there is nothing wrong with the game is inane.

In conclusion: your face must suck
huh, that blows :(

also my face does suck

Hmm.. sorry to hear that. I installed Civ4 again on a fresh XP install with the 1.52 patch, and I started getting sporadic graphic corruption on my 9600pro towards the end of the game. Not sure if it's overheating or there's something screwy with the rendering...

Back