Civ: Colonization out today

I wish they'd put a 'Total War' style battle-engine in there some day.. I'd love to see a Civ game that had a bit more than "attack score * random number > defence score * random number = WIN!" crap

i never understood the appeal of these games. it takes maybe a few minutes to "figure it out" after which every instance of the game is the same monotonous play each time. i gave civ1, civ2, and civ4 a good 5-7 hours each.

i never understood the appeal of these games. it takes maybe a few minutes to "figure it out" after which every instance of the game is the same monotonous play each time. i gave civ1, civ2, and civ4 a good 5-7 hours each.

Well I'm not a huge Civ fan but I can see the appeal. It's not real graphic intensive so it can be played on just about anything. Each game has the potential to be different so the playability is basically until you're tired of it. I'm like you though, I haven't played any of them more than maybe 5-7 hours total.

So this is actually a remake of Colonization with the Civ IV engine, where do I sign up! I loved Colonization back in the day, played it to death on my Amiga. I loved the founding father concept rather than the obvious research of Civ.

Last edited:
I play CIV games all the time - bump up the difficulty and you'll find that the AI is actually quite smart. You really need to give it more than 5 hours :)

As for Colonization - I'm the same - on the amiga i played to death and have been wanting a remake for years. The FreeCol was okay but lacked something. This is supposed to have kept the game close to it's original and even has remakes of the original songs :D

Colonization was the only other CIV game that I enjoyed besides the very first civilization.. fuck me i might ahve to pick this up

This is a good summary, and i agree with it.

I play CIV games all the time - bump up the difficulty and you'll find that the AI is actually quite smart. You really need to give it more than 5 hours :)

Not really. When you bump up the difficulty, all that happens is you have to defend off more barbarians in the early stages, making it harder to expand.

Then when you do expand, it is just a rush to the most valuable minerals.

Same thing on any level of difficulty.

WTF how did this get under my radar? I love playing that game.

- Do English.
- Schools to teach all the degenerates.
- Use first 2000 gold to buy a Privateer.
- Attack all ships and steal their stuff.

Nearly all the CPU ships contained guns and horses, and that would be precisely how I funded my army. That and inciting Indians to attack everyone else.

Back