Christmas comes early: Logitech G110 Keyboard

Pen

Veteran XV
Last night, I bought the new gaming keyboard: Logitech G110

They have been putting the G11 and I think the G15 on clearance for a while - this KB replaces the G11. Maybe there will be a similar G150 soon?

It has all the features I have been wanting and if you like illuminated keyboards, you might look into it.

1. Red lighting. Thank you. Blue is hard to see at night (at least for old people) Also, my case is all red and crap and I don't want my keyboard to clash :p

2. Built in sound card/chip - it has USB sound in the KB. No drivers required (at least on Vista+) - I just plugged in the headset and the sound chip took over, launched L4D2 and everything worked - worked very well too.

3. True USB2.0 - just not full power. You can't run a USB powered hard drive, but you do get a full speed port. Man, they REALLY did a good job on managing their power budget to get all this on one USB port.

Things I am not super thrilled about:

1. They keys are extremely smooth. Weirdly, oddly, technologically smooth. And flat-ish. My fingers almost slip off the keys. Previous KB was Dell multimedia KB and it had nicely dished/textured keys. I think I will get used to it, and it is probably still just the adjustment phase, but I am not as fast to get to the WASD position...

2. The lighting isgood, but not as intense as I would like. It looks like pure red in the dark, but in a lit room, it has an orange cast to it. Also, some of the keys (CAPS LOCK) are a bit dark on one side and they should have done more to distinguish the home or WASD keys.

3. The volume wheel is nice, but the gears inside feel just a bit rough - I hope it smooths out with time and does not break a tooth or something.

Anyway, I had an original G15 when they first came out. I really liked it but the key caps wore poorly and the thing died after a year. I don't really need that LCD screen, but the sound jacks are very handy and the red color is much easier to live with.

Check it out if you have $80 that you like less than an interesting keyboard.

Also, I came very close to buying the Alienware Tactx keyboard:

Alienware TactX Keyboard Product Details

It has the full color LEDs that the G19 has but does not have the LCD or the sound chip built in and the design is pretty agressive. For $100, it was tempting and I think you can make the KB change color on system events or something, but alas, I am getting conservative in my latter years....

Oh, I read your whole thread.

I just don't care about it.

But I still read it. :\

Well, I care that you don't care. I really want to understand what is happening here.

Tell me, what are your earliest memories of computer keyboards? Were they positive and supportive? Or do you have a lot of negative associations that I can help you work through?

This is a safe place.

Let it out.

It is time to heal.

I'm still running my G15, but it is starting to show its age. I really wish I'd taken the time to figure out the script keys (G1 - G18). Mainly I still like the keyboard. I'd consider getting the G110--post back in a month or two and let me/us know if you still like it...

Back