[China] Shanghai

TF_Grungir

Veteran XV
So, I leave for Shanghai in the morning...
What are some good places to see / things to do?
I will have 2 weekends to explore

Other than the massage parlors that is :)

the legit massage parlors are actually fkn amazing. try look for a blind person massage parlor, those are usually the best.

nanjing lu(road) is a touristy area, you can go check that out.

yea, I heard the legit ones could be pretty good. I was planning on going to one of those.
I will also probably visit a tailor and get a few shirts made... then probably buy a fake watch. lol
Already planning on taking a spin on the maglev.
Not sure what else to do

F6QWd.jpg

I hated shanghai

Similiar feelings here, was performing at the world exhibition last year.
anyways, qi qong therapy, acupuncture were few of my best experiences in shanghai.
Also morning tai chi in the parks

and there was this brewery in french quarters that was pretty good (something about a cat if I recall).

Make sure you pack enough American tooth-paste to last you for your whole trip.

Last edited:
I'll be spending a semester abroad in Shanghai, from late August to early December.:bigthumb:

Let me know if you discover any cool places I should check out.

Those who hated Shanghai: What didn't you like about it? Also, for reference, how much of the language did you speak?

I'll be spending a semester abroad in Shanghai, from late August to early December.:bigthumb:

Let me know if you discover any cool places I should check out.

Those who hated Shanghai: What didn't you like about it? Also, for reference, how much of the language did you speak?

Pollution, arrogant people, mad crowds. the heat and humidity (was there whole august last year). I did not speak the language but the gf was pretty fluent (studied all the classes our uni has on chinese language).

i loved shanghai

-check out the bund at night
-visit the touristy antique/bazaar area
-tour the yu yuan garden
-walk everywhere (including thru fuxing park)
-go to an acrobatics show
-visit the cool museum
-buy some amazing dumplings (xiaolong bao) & other street food. The dumplings that get fried in a little sesame oil are amazing
-do not fall for scams like "university students" selling "art"

wasnt really a fan of nanjing lu

uhhh thats all i got

edit: oh yeah one more...go see a soccer game if you have the time (and like soccer)

Last edited:
The chinese part of me knew what you were referring to when you said fuxing park. The english speaking part of me :lol:-ed

I love the dumplings that get fried in sesame oil. 上海生煎包(shanghai sheng jian bao) is what they're called.

Also, be wary of scammers. They see caucasians as walking bags of money.

As for the blind person massage parlors... uh. I can't help you there. I'm fluent in chinese so it wasn't a problem for me reading the signs.

edit: oh yea. the chinese are extremely rude. just a warning.

Here are some useful phrases -

Hello - Ni hao - (Phonetically - nee how)

I'm very pleased to meet you - wo cao ni ma (Phonetically- wo Ts-ao nee mA - Remember to put the T and s sounds together)

Where is the toilet - Wo xiang chi wushi pijiu - (phonetically - wo she-un-g ch-rr Wu-she pee-gee-u) < Meant to be used specifically in bars or restraunts.

I hope this helps.

P.s. My phonetics maybe a little off, but they're close :)

Shanghai is where they build HP laptops, along with a bunch of other stuff. Should be able to pick up the latest electronics for cheap.

I was there last year for the expo, and then again about a month or so ago. Back there in october. I don't mind shanghai, but I am glad I spend most of my time in Hangzhou.

The bund at night is pretty good, although I found going up Pearl Tower to be pretty crap. The tunnel that goes under the river from the bund across to the pearl tower side is hilarious. So terrible its funny. Don't bother to go to the science and tech museum, it was totally rubbish. Probably good for chinese people who don't get to see animals in zoos (don't go to a chinese zoo, its depressing, the animals are treated terrible, and die pretty quick it seems) and are about 10-12 years old. I quite enjoyed the Shanghai museum which is just off peoples square. Stacks of bronze age stuff through to 1500s (and then onwards). While some museums here have stuff like that, its not generally 2-3 floors of stuff that is over 1500 years old up to 4000 years old etc. Australia just doesn't have that history. So its cool to see masses of stuff that is that old.

Depending on what you are actually doing there, with two weekends, you could probably get out of shanghai and see something else for a weekend. The fast trains take less than an hour to get to hangzhou or suzhou, or a bit longer to ningbo. They have a lot more of the pretty stuff to see.

Back