CCNA (and higher people), CCENT really necessary?

Urraca

Veteran XX
Decided to go take a CCNA bootcamp since work is paying for it. I have no formal 'cert' training, but have plenty of networking experience and Cisco PIX/Sonicwall administration time. I wouldn't say I'm an expert though.

Is the CCENT course really necessary? will I be over my head if I just jump into a CCNA?

if you do alot on the PIX/sonicwall you might wana get your CCNA-S which is all security based.

CCNA is gonna be alot of theory, which is covered by the CCENT and then alot of routing and switching which is covered by the ICND2. If you opt to take the CCNA at once just gotta manage your time very closely.

edit: gl :heart: if you have any questions pm me or just make a thread :p

if you do alot on the PIX/sonicwall you might wana get your CCNA-S which is all security based.

CCNA is gonna be alot of theory, which is covered by the CCENT and then alot of routing and switching which is covered by the ICND2. If you opt to take the CCNA at once just gotta manage your time very closely.

Well I'm taking a bootcamp from global knowledge, it's 12+ hours of day of organized instruction/lab time for a week. So they will pretty much structure my time for me.

I never knew a CCNA-S existed, that's interesting to say the least. I guess they are equivalent and open up the same training path, one just has more security emphasis?

There doesn't seem to be a 'Bootcamp' for the CCNA-S unfortunately. And work will pay me for the 5 days I'm out of work to take the training as well.

Cisco CCNA Boot Camp v2.0 at Global Knowledge

Oh, and I may do a lot of firewall stuff now at my current job, but part of me get certified is for my next job. So I really don't care how it fits my current position, just the job and pay it can get me after.

Get packet tracer and pickup a copy of todd lammle's "CCNA exam guide" from sybex to study. You can get the Cisco Press book's by Wendell Odom they are just a bit more indepth and in alot of cases just ramble on.

I like the guy who does all the Cisco CBT Nugget's Video's, Jermey Cioara. He is very enthusiastic and did a good job of keeping me entertained.

Oh, and I may do a lot of firewall stuff now at my current job, but part of me get certified is for my next job. So I really don't care how it fits my current position, just the job and pay it can get me after.

IS THERE NO LOYALTY ANYMORE~!:~:

You said you're new to getting certs so keeping that in mind, I would suggest sticking with the CCNA. You'll learn some good stuff and it is a relatively inexpensive way to get your feet wet with certifications.

Back