† Catholic Church Praises New Sex Abuse Bill †

-Bane

Veteran XV
† Catholic Church Praises New Sex Abuse Bill †

:jester: just kidding. FNGRVision™ included for maximal enjoyment and spin.

A bill in Connecticut's legislature that would remove the statute of limitations on child sexual abuse cases has sparked a fervent response from the state's Roman Catholic bishops, who released a letter to parishioners Saturday imploring them to oppose the measure.

Under current Connecticut law, sexual abuse victims have 30 years past their 18th birthday to file a lawsuit. The proposed change to the law would rescind that statute of limitations.

The proposed change to the law would put "all Church institutions, including your parish, at risk," says the letter, which was signed by Connecticut's three Roman Catholic bishops.

The letter is posted on the Web site of the Connecticut Catholic Public Affairs Conference, the public policy and advocacy office of Connecticut's Catholic bishops. It asks parishioners to contact their legislators in opposition of the bill.

The "legislation would undermine the mission of the Catholic Church in Connecticut, threatening our parishes, our schools, and our Catholic Charities," the letter says.

The Catholic archdiocese of Hartford also published a pulpit announcement on its Web site, which was to be read during Mass on Sunday, urging parishioners to express opposition to the bill.

The bill has been revised to address some of the church's concerns about frivolous abuse claims against it, according to Connecticut state Rep. Beth Bye, one of the bill's sponsors.

"The church didn't recognize that this bill makes improvements," Bye said. "The victims -- their lives have been changed and some will never recover from years of sexual abuse. For me, it's about giving them access to the courts."

Under the bill's provisions, anyone older than 48 who makes a sex abuse claim against the church would need to join an existing claim filed by someone 48 or younger. Older claimants would need to show substantial proof that they were abused.

"They were worried about frivolous lawsuits and so we made the bar high," Bye said.

The bill does not target the Catholic Church, she said.

The bishops' letter raised concerns that the bill would allow claims that are 70 years or older, in which "key individuals are deceased, memories have been faded, and documents and other evidence have been lost." The letter said that the majority of cases would be driven by "trial lawyers hoping to profit from these cases."

The bill passed in Connecticut's House of Representatives, and Bye said the state Senate should vote on it in the next week or two.

Connecticut bishops fight sex abuse bill - CNN.com

:roller:

It's pretty ballsy to just come out and say "Yeah, we raped a bunch of kids. If you want to be able to have church, you should make sure no one can get in trouble for all that kid-rape."

I think they have a legitimate claim to try and protect the precedent of a statute of limitations.

I also think they have not been punished nearly enough for what has been proven against them.

I think they have a legitimate claim to try and protect the precedent of a statute of limitations.

yes, but it is easy for people to say what they think does and what doesn't deserve a statute of limitations. personally, I don't think the crime of molesting a child should have any statute of limitation, similar to murder.

this would be for civil cases as well.

I hate the idea that rape/molestation is as bad if not worse then murder. Killing someone is the ultimate crime, not any of this psychological drama bullshit. 30 years is fine for statute of limitations, although if it's more or even a little less quite frankly I don't give a fuck.

I hate the idea that rape/molestation is as bad if not worse then murder. Killing someone is the ultimate crime, not any of this psychological drama bullshit. 30 years is fine for statute of limitations, although if it's more or even a little less quite frankly I don't give a fuck.

this is really trite, but do you have children? I might have had a similar view prior to my anticipating and then becoming a parent too, so I am not attacking your viewpoint at all.

this is really trite, but do you have children? I might have had a similar view prior to my anticipating and then becoming a parent too, so I am not attacking your viewpoint at all.

Nah I'm basically a kid myself, but I have someone in my family who was molested as a kid (not by a priest but a family member) but kept quiet about it. It's made me think about that shit and well, as much as you don't want your kid to be molested/raped, I would thank god that they're alive and that they will have the chance to overcome what happened and if possible see life through a better pair of eyes because of this.

It needs to be clear that killing someone is the ultimate thing to do, there is no forgiveness for it and no chance for a better world to be made from it. I do understand why people would want no statute of limitations because molesting a pretty much defenseless and vulnerable child is about the worst thing you can do but it is not the worst thing you can do, and it shouldn't be treated like it. If you don't make your accusations within 30 years of age 18 anyways, I do not know what you're waiting for, or if it's likely that they'll even suddenly come out with this, or that anyone would even go to jail for it.

30 years is fine in terms of ability to come forward and seriousness of the actions.

the way that people feel differently about it is not due to a rational reason, but instead hormones that affect our brains. Flunky is correct in that when you get older (past 30 or so) your hormones will cause you to view protecting children to be extremely important, possibly more important than preventing murder.

You can always count on the church for hilarity. I hope every last child-banging one of them does jail time.

i would hate to be the admin of that mail server, because its about to get hammered harder than a catholic child's ass

Back